Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wadurbin
    • Nov 2010

[Forum] Using "Active Member" as a screening mechanism

I can see that vBulletin knows what an Active Member is, because it displays the number of them on the landing page. However, if I wanted to limit the use of a particular forum, or the ability to download content from the forum or a particular thread, it is not as clear how to use that descriptor as a filter. I'd like to create a new sub-forum and then filter out folks who are not active. I hope that makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Hartmut
    • Nov 2007
    • 4.2.x

Hm, i dont think that vBulletin can handle that for example only active users can see a certain forum. A request at vbulletin.org could help as I'm pretty sure that this could be handled with a small product.
    No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

The active members on the forumhome page is just a count of users who've been online in the last X days as set in the AdminCP. In a way if you think about it, only the users who'd have been online would 1: notice this forum, 2, be able to use it

I suspect this isn't exactly what you want though

Comment

• wadurbin
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zachery
        The active members on the forumhome page is just a count of users who've been online in the last X days as set in the AdminCP. In a way if you think about it, only the users who'd have been online would 1: notice this forum, 2, be able to use it

I suspect this isn't exactly what you want though
        Yes, I realize that the way I've stated the problem sounds like circular reasoning. At the end of the day, I'm trying to encourage more participation from my lurkers. I have thousands of them, but a much smaller percent are "active" on any given day. Thanks for posting a reply.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

There is a thought process in website usage, 90 9 and 1. 90% of your users are guests, 9% are users, 1% engage. Getting that 1% to engage is good, trying to convert the 9% to engage is harder.

Get good content. Get content that engages people to post their opinion. Its one of the reason flamebait articles/sites are so wide spread on the internet. Nothing gets people talking like an argument. I'm not saying you should shift your site this way, but getting people to discuss their opinion is the easiest way to get them engaging in your site.

Comment