X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spencerp
    • Jan 2010
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] SSH backup for attachments/avatars/customprofilepics/ etc

Hi all, I'd like to know the command lines to run to back up each thing specifically...? But most importantly, to the hard drive to a specific folder for example; in documents/site.com folder. I'd like to be able to run a command line for each things...

database.sql > documents\site.com folder\
    attachments/ > documents\site.com folder\
    avatars/ > documents\site.com folder\
    etc etc

Is this possible? thanks..
  • cloferba
    • Apr 2009
    • 3.8.x

You have to ask to your hosting about this, because you need a backup tool to do the backups, or just zip all the files/folders using default zip commands.
    vBulletin Services I offer: www.Todo10.com
    Technical vB/Server/Hosting support Service also!

Comment

• spencerp
      • Jan 2010
      • 4.1.x

thanks for reply... well i was just on live chat with the one tech support guy... and already have SSH enabled on account.. and usually did database backups in "back ups" section of cpanel... And did backup of attachments in "public_html" .. but its at 700 some MB now.. and took me an hour and half to download to computer... just for the attachments. hence wanting to know the way to do SSH with Putty to download the attachments / avatars / etc right from SSH command prompts... individually. I did the whole / home directory backup as well before.. but I'd rather not do that, because I only need the images themselves in backup.. along with database

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/156478-Best-Way-To-Backup-Attachments like from there, but to computer hard drive..

tar zxvf 30-sept-2005-backup.tar.gz attachments/ > C:\documents\site.com folder\

Comment

• Andy
        • Jan 2002
        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by spencerp
        Hi all, I'd like to know the command lines to run to back up each thing specifically...? But most importantly, to the hard drive to a specific folder for example; in documents/site.com folder. I'd like to be able to run a command line for each things...

database.sql > documents\site.com folder\
        attachments/ > documents\site.com folder\
        avatars/ > documents\site.com folder\
        etc etc

Is this possible? thanks..
        Are you on a dedicated server?

It doesn't make much sense to make a copy to the same drive.

Comment

• spencerp
          • Jan 2010
          • 4.1.x

Hey Andy, I'm on shared hosting... Just wanting to make backups of those things to my hard drive if possible.. Instead of having it all stored in the "public_html" root or even home/account_user/root/ ... It takes me forever (1 hour and 30 minutes) to download the current attachment folder at 700 some MB on lowest high speed DSL.. I'd like to just have the backups to C:\My Documents\Site Folder\ if possible.. Just doing it, individually...

my documents\site folder\attachments
          my documents\site folder\avatars
          my documents\site folder\customprofilepics
          my documents\site folder\mysqlbackup.sql...
          etc etc

Comment

• Andy
            • Jan 2002
            • 4.1.x

Backing up attachments and other important files to your home computer is a excellent idea, I do it regularly.

This is a simple process for me for several reasons:

1) I have a dedicated server, so access to it using rsync from my home computer is possible
            2) I have a Mac computer so rsync is available from the terminal
            3) I use rsync to transfer my database backups and attachments. The nice thing about rsync is that it only transfers new attachments and deletes the ones locally that were deleted on the server.

4) I have a cron job that backs up my database every night

Comment

I use the following command over ssh to create incremental backups of files:

Code:
              tar --create --verbose --after-date=/path/to/lastbackup.txt --file=/path/to/backupfiles.tar /path/to/mywebsite/httpdocs
              I "touch" lastbackup.txt to have the timestamp I want.

Comment

• spencerp
                • Jan 2010
                • 4.1.x

Andy, yeah.. So I'm guessing that wouldn't work for me, since I'm not dedicated hosted.. .I'm only shared hosting? I'm with certifiedhosting.com Geek plan for year... I have the SSH enabled and can run line commands / did backups to account root / public_html... I just need way to have the backups to computer/ hard drive itself..

mgyver, so how could we do a line command without incremental backups and without timestamp ordeal? like.. i can't think of that three letters that host used originally.. "cvn" ? cnf ? cfg? .. dang...

running within "public_html" of course:
                Code:
                tar cvn 10-sept-2012-attachments-backup.tar attachments/ /C:/documents/site.comfolder
                (on hard drive?)

or something like that? i haven't used SSH in forever.. I'm basically nOOb at this stuff, hence asking what I could use / do for line commands to get the attachments/ from public_html (Root) > into TAR/RAR/ZIP then to hard drive > documents folder > site.com folder >
                10-sept-2012-attachments-backup.tar

Comment

• cloferba
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 3.8.x

I make it simple... I always work with cPanel and make a zip file with all the content of public_html folder. For the databases I use SypexDumper Pro (it only tooks a few minutes to backup and compress the database). Time to do a total backup? maybe 10 minutes, no more.
                  vBulletin Services I offer: www.Todo10.com
                  Technical vB/Server/Hosting support Service also!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...