• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bilal
    • Sep 2005
    • 4.0.x

[Forum] Weird thread subscription issue after upgrading to VB 4.2

Hi,

I recently upgraded my forum from 4.1.12 to VB 4.2 and now I am facing a very strange issue, lots of my members reported that they are getting subscribe to the topics in which they are posting the replies even though their setting is set to "Do Not Subscribe". This is happening with random users, for me (admin) it's working fine but as I said different members are facing this issue now.

Is there any solution available for this?
    Best Regards,
    Bilal
  • John Lester
    • Jul 2000
    • 4.1.x

If it's only a few topics have them click on thread tools and unsubscribe (if that's not available have them subscribe, wait for a post to be made, unsubscribe).

If it's a lot of topics (more than oh I don't know ... 15? ) You can run a query to reset the subscriptions for multiple users . To do the query you would need a list of the userids of each person with this problem (which you'll have to get one by one). To get their userid open ACP -> Users -> Search for users -> enter username and click find. Look at the top left and you'll see their userid. Make a list of them to run the query below.

You can do this in phpmyadmin or (if your account has sufficient privileges) you can run them in the ACP -> Maintenance -> Execute SQL query
    To run them in the ACP you need to edit your /includes/config.php file. Download the file and open it in notepad (or wordpad).

Find
    Code:
    $config['SpecialUsers']['canrunqueries'] = '';
    Put your userid between the '' so it would look like = '1';

Then upload the file.

Depending on how many subscriptions and users there are, running the first query could be quite the resource hog (while it runs).

Make sure you backup your database first
    NOTE: if your tables have a prefix set you will need to add the prefix before subscribethread (ie vB_subscribethread).
    NOTE: the userids in the example below are made up, make sure you use the proper userids for members with this problem.

Code:
    UPDATE subscribethread SET emailupdate = -1 WHERE emailupdate IN (0, 1, 2, 3) AND userid IN (1, 5, 34, 1324, 2)
    Alternatively you could run the query for each individual member as they report the problem to you. Just get their userid and run this query
    Code:
    UPDATE subscribethread SET emailupdate = -1 WHERE emailupdate IN (0, 1, 2, 3) AND userid = 1
    Last edited by John Lester; Tue 4 Sep '12, 9:56am.
    BrainTalk is a support group for friends, family, caregivers, and patients with neurological disorders and other health related diagnosis.

BrainTalk Communities Inc
    sigpic

Comment

• Bilal
      • Sep 2005
      • 4.0.x

Thanks for your reply John, I will try your solution
      Best Regards,
      Bilal

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...