• Jul 2012
    • 4.2.X

[Blog] Skyscraper ad under sidebar

Click image for larger version

Name:	adsense_185666_adformat-display_160x600_en.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	3724555

How would I go about placing an ad like this under the sidebar in blogs?

I don't want it in the side bar, but slightly spaced below it and centered with it. I assume I'd have to edit a template. Which one do I edit and at what point do I stick in the ad code?

Thanks!
  • Raikiri
    • Sep 2008
    • 3.7.x

Did you find a solution?

Comment

• dougdirac
      • Jul 2012
      • 4.2.X

Nothing satisfactory. Requires editing templates and I never got it the way I like. I'm also typically weary of template edits since they get screwed up with vB updates. But since 4.2 maybe be near the end of the line for vB4.x anyhow, those kind of concerns may be moot.

The path I decided to take was to use the stylevars to get rid of the container appearance of the side bar, so it looks more like independent elements. So going for a plain white sidebar with no boarder or shadow. Then you can just stick the skyscraper ad in the default Blog Sidebar End ad location and it doesn't look terribly out of place. So the ad is actually in the sidebar, though you can't really tell.

Still stuck on one thing, though. The only way I can see to change the shadow on the sidebar is the stylevar Global--> shadow_color. But I'm not sure what other things that affects. One thing I do see it screwing up is the "Find Blog Entries" searchbox. Not sure why the outline of that textbox would be tied to the shadow color.

Comment

• dougdirac
        • Jul 2012
        • 4.2.X

You can see what I ended up doing here: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...23-The-Sidebar

Live here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/blog.php

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...