Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lardude
    • Nov 2004

How do I disable images from auto-rotating

Some of my forum members complain that their images look fine everywhere but once they upload to the forum then they rotate.

I tested this with one of their images and this happens with me. In my searches it appears that ImageMagick may be rotating these images based on exif info but I am not sure. I had switched years ago from GD since it uses more resources.

This is what I think is happening:
    Certain images apparently has EXIF info in them that when uploaded to the forum they are auto-rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise.

These appear to be images taken on an Iphone in landscape mode (at least what I have tested) where the image looks perfect on a computer. It can upload to social media sites without problem.

But when the member uploads, it goes from looking correctly to rotate 90 degrees counter-clockwise

Please note that THIS forum has this problem too! I have uploaded the original image and on the computer and everywhere else except vbulletin it is uploaded the way it looks on the computer. Once it is uploaded to a vbulletin forum, it rotates 90 degrees counter-clockwise. Please notice the attachment looks fine once you click on it and see the original but it is rotated in the wrong orientation before clicking. It is the same image that the forum rotated.

I asked this on vbulletin.org a few days ago and nobody has a clue how to address. On that site and mine it shows the rotated thumbnail and then if you click on it then you see the original that looks perfect.

Keep in mind that most uploads are fine. It is only certain images....

How can I disable whatever is auto-rotating my member's images?
    No additional plugins related to images are used at all. The forum uses ImageMagick on 4.22 pl1

Is this a bug in vbulletin that needs to be fixed? An image uploaded should be presented as uploaded and not turn on it's side. (just like every other site)
    Help! Thanks in advance for assistance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lardude; Wed 1 Oct '14, 8:53am.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

They need to make sure their orientation is correct before they upload them. We don't use the EXIF data to determine orientation.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• lardude
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      They need to make sure their orientation is correct before they upload them. We don't use the EXIF data to determine orientation.
      Most forum users do not have any idea about this. Most will decide not to upload images and post it on Facebook instead. (that is what the last member that complained about this did).

There HAS to be a way. It looks fine every single place except vbulletin. This means that no members using an iphone can take a pic and upload it to any vbulletin forum but can anywhere else? Ouch. Why would this not be considered a bug or at least an issue that needs to be fixed?

Comment

• lardude
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        If the orientation is perfect everywhere and it looks perfect on the computer... how do they know to change the orientation or what pics need to be rotated and what images do not? Remember, this image that I uploaded looked right on the camera, looked right on the computer. It looks perfect on all social media sites. It only goes sideways on vbulletin forums.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

It looked right on your computer / phone / tablet / whatever because the software looked at and applied the orientation data to the photo. We do not. We display it as it really is.

Facebook goes out of their way to fix it. We do not yet do this.

If it is important to you, vote on it here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-13152

Comment

• lardude
            • Nov 2004

Thanks for the link to vote. Much appreciated.

This will become more and more of a problem especially as the sales of Iphone increases again and one of the essential things that vbulletin needs to do to stay alive. Members that had this issue are now posting pics somewhere else and linking out.

Thanks much.

Originally posted by Zachery
            It looked right on your computer / phone / tablet / whatever because the software looked at and applied the orientation data to the photo. We do not. We display it as it really is.

Facebook goes out of their way to fix it. We do not yet do this.

If it is important to you, vote on it here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-13152

Comment

• lardude
              • Nov 2004

This is becoming more of a problem. Many of my new members have iphones and once the images upload incorrectly because of this bug then they won't post again and bash the forum. It is crazy that this is still a bug. I think most site owners just do not realize how bad this is yet.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

Firstly, it is not a bug - the images are being handled correctly, and in the manner designed. I appreciate you don't like the design, but that doesn't make it a bug. A bug is where something is not fucntioning as designed.

It's not going to happen on vBulletin 4, because vBulletin 4 is not being developed other than security issues now.

If it is to happen at all it would be in vBulletin 5, but at the moment it is not high on the priority list. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about this. Votes is the only thing anyone can do to push changes forward, they are one fctor that is considered when deciding priorities.
                Last edited by Mark.B; Thu 3 Sep '15, 2:01pm.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• lardude
                  • Nov 2004

Bummer. I appreciate the reply. If someone uploads from an Iphone then this is happening. I have been super loyal to VBulletin with 3 (used to be 4) licenses. But this makes it hard to compete with someone running another platform where this issue does not exist. The reason I have not upgraded is I have great SEO and because using DBSEO (After VBSEO closed) and I do not want to lose my links.

Thanks for letting me know that this. It helps with planning for the future.

Originally posted by Mark.B
                  Firstly, it is not a bug - the images are being handled correctly, and in the manner designed. I appreciate you don't like the design, but that doesn't make it a bug. A bug is where something is not fucntioning as designed.

It's not going to happen on vBulletin 4, because vBulletin 4 is not being developed other than security issues now.

If it is to happen at all it would be in vBulletin 5, but at the moment it is not high on the priority list. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about this. Votes is the only thing anyone can do to push changes forward, they are one fctor that is considered when deciding priorities.

Comment

• Infinity727
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 3.6.x

Please put this as a priority, pictures are a huge part of most sites especially our fishing site. We are on 5.1.9 now

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Infinity727
                      Please put this as a priority, pictures are a huge part of most sites especially our fishing site. We are on 5.1.9 now
                      You should vote and comment in the bug report - the developers do not routinely monitor the forums.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment