Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vBBurger
    • Oct 2010

[Forum] Search Results as Posts

How do I tell the forum to return search results as posts? I have never understood the ridiculous logic of setting the forum search default to "topics". When people are searching, they are looking for a specific word or phrase. What pattern of thought on earth would make sense to return a bunch of 14, 5, 2, 11 page threads where that phrase may appear midway down the page on page 7, page 2, page 11? And forcing the user to spend 15 minutes looking for it? I'll never understand this, but all the forums default to "Topic" view search results.

I dont see the option to select results as "Posts". Usually its a radio button on the advanced search page. Is this a setting in the ACP?

Secondly, I am trying to do a search for a web site name that undercover spammers keep typing, pretending to be legitimate users. Example, they will type this: "I found your ideas on happypizzasite.com and I decided to try it out". I tried doing an advanced search for "happypizzasite.com" and one for "happypizzasite". Both returned a Topic list of results. I clicked the first Topic which had four pages. On none of the pages did either of these exist. In fact I did a CTRL+F for just the word "happy" on each of the 4 pages and never found one instance. Suggestions?

Thanks
    Helpful forums on hair loss support and information.
  • kh99
    • Aug 2009

On the "Advanced Search" page, if you click the "Search Single Content Type" tab at the top, there will be a radio button at the bottom for returning the results as posts.

Comment

• vBBurger
      • Oct 2010

When I search for a phrase, and delete it, then search for the phrase to see the search results again, why isnt the search result updated? It shows me posts that no longer contain the phrase. This is obviously an issue of search not updating in real-time. How can I enable real-time updating of search results? PHPBB does this by default.
      Last edited by vBBurger; Sat 21 Jul '12, 5:30pm.

Comment

• kh99
        • Aug 2009

There is an option called "Queue Search Updates" under "Message Searching Options", but it seems to default to "no", so unless you turned it on that's probably not the issue. I think what you're seeing is that search results get cached for one hour, so if you do exactly the same search you get the cached results. You could test that by trying a slightly different search and seeing if you get the lastest version of the post. If the caching is interfering with testing you could put your site in debug mode, then a "don't use cached results" checkbox appears on the search page.

Edit: one small change to that - it seems like if you're in debug mode it doesn't use the cache whether you check the box or not (at least when searching for posts).
        Last edited by kh99; Sat 21 Jul '12, 6:37pm.

Comment

• vBBurger
          • Oct 2010

Thank you.

Is there a way for me to set certain parameters to be default? Like "Posts" being on the results page all the time, versus "Topics" ?

Honestly I look at the search tool with its default page, Tab 1 page, and Tab 2 page and have no idea what any of it means. Im sure my users don't either.

Comment

• PetrK
            • Jan 2006
            • 4.2.x

I have the same problem with vB 4.2.5.. I would like the search results to appear as posts by default. Searching as topics is very illogical and impractical.

Comment

• djbaxter
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by PetrK
              I have the same problem with vB 4.2.5.. I would like the search results to appear as posts by default. Searching as topics is very illogical and impractical.
              Not for your users. Most of the time, members or guests want information on a topic, not a specific post.
              Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
              Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• PetrK
                • Jan 2006
                • 4.2.x

My users want the results as posts. No one wants to browse many pages of topics. The "Topics" or "Posts" option is on a tab that does not appear as the default. This is complicated and confusing. Each member should be able to choose to view the results when opening an advanced search. But this is hidden on a card that is not the default.

VB5 returns results even in simple search as posts where words are highlighted. Which is much better. But it's the only advantage of vB5 when I use it only as a forum.
                We wanted to upgrade to vB5, I've tested vB5 for a long time, but this version is a great disappointment. Many features that are useful to the forum have been removed. vB5 is a great disappointment for us, so we stay with vB4.

We use vBulletin 4.2.5. only as a forum. So I've solved the complicated search by editing the templates and the users are already satisfied. When opening an advanced search, only one card is displayed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Advanced_Search.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.2 KB ID:	4391061

I apologize for my English and wish a nice day

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...