Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeorgeB
    • Nov 2008

[Forum] Thread of the week block on the side block

A recycling forum that I belong to online, as a block to the right called "Thread of the week". I am curious if anyone knows how they do it?

Before anyone suggests that I ask an admin or mod, they wont tell me, as I own a site similar to them.

Wouldn't be something I would implement right away as my site is relatively small, but in the future, would be something that I think members would like.

I know how to create the blocks for new threads/posts, but that isn't what that is. This particular block only ever displays one thread.
    George Beale
    www.millenniumcapitalgroupllc.com - Investment company | www.recyclingbootcamp.com - Where recyclers can come to network with one another! | www.viprecycling.com - Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers! | www.biddingextreme.com - Online Auction Site |
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

A custom modification of some sort. There is no black or widget like this by default. You would have to email the owner and ask how they did it or check for a similar modification over at www.vbulletin.org.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• GeorgeB
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      A custom modification of some sort. There is no black or widget like this by default. You would have to email the owner and ask how they did it or check for a similar modification over at www.vbulletin.org.
      Do you know what a mod like that might be called. I just did a few searches on vb.org but nothing really populated.

I know the threads are selected automatically. They are manually selected. When you click on the link for the thread, it doesn't take you to a special forum, but to the original thread.
      George Beale
      www.millenniumcapitalgroupllc.com - Investment company | www.recyclingbootcamp.com - Where recyclers can come to network with one another! | www.viprecycling.com - Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers! | www.biddingextreme.com - Online Auction Site |

Comment

• borbole
        • Feb 2010

You will need a custom mod for that. Try to ask over at vb.org. It should be an easy one to code.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

I've looked this a little more... If you want to say "This thread is important, look at it" then you need custom coding.

If you're a little more lenient and want a featured thread that can change automatically then you might be able to use something like the Forum Threads Block. Set it choose by most views or most replies. Set the date to look back to 7 days and the number of threads to 1.

Forums & Moderators -> Forum Blocks Manager.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• GeorgeB
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            I've looked this a little more... If you want to say "This thread is important, look at it" then you need custom coding.

If you're a little more lenient and want a featured thread that can change automatically then you might be able to use something like the Forum Threads Block. Set it choose by most views or most replies. Set the date to look back to 7 days and the number of threads to 1.

Forums & Moderators -> Forum Blocks Manager.
            Theirs, shows only 1 thread at a time in the block. It is their featured thread for the week. I think they just manually choose it. I dont believe it to have anything to do with replies, or views.
            George Beale

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Then they are using custom code to do this.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• punchbowl
                • Nov 2006
                • 4.0.x

why don't you just pick whatever thread is thread of the week and use html in a sideblock? No programming necessary.

Comment

• GeorgeB
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by punchbowl
                  why don't you just pick whatever thread is thread of the week and use html in a sideblock? No programming necessary.
                  Okay, I don't mind trying your idea, but what is the html code that you use? I am still very much a novice in programming.
                  George Beale

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

<div>
                    <h4><a href="threadurlhere">Thread Title Here</a></h4>
                    <p>Some text describing the thread here.</p>
                    </div>

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...