Ok to release someone's IP address ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeinjersey
    • Apr 2005

[Answered] Ok to release someone's IP address ?

some dude PM'd me on our forums today....and said he's doing an investigation on this user that ripped him off ..he noticed the same user registered on our forums, and wants to know if I could release some info on him.

Am I allowed to to release the user's email addy and IP to him...or is this not allowed?

I don't think I would anyway...but generally speaking, legal wise. is it ok to release info like this on other users ?

The guy asking for it, didn't say he's a cop or anything either.

I don't feel like posting around on legal forums either...but generally speaking, watcha think ?
  • Dustin L.
    • Mar 2011
    • 4.2.X

I don't believe this is legal.
    http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
    http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

• AusPhotography
      • Nov 2007

I would not without a court order!

Here in .au there is privacy laws that would prevent us doing that.
      I'm sure other jurisdictions have similar rules; the EU would probably jail you for 100 years or something draconian like that
      FYI: Our privacy page.

Kym
      environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
      Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

• Andy
        • Jan 2002
        • 4.1.x

Ignore the email and don't engage in any conversation with this person.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
          • Sep 2008

I would not, privacy is the main thing here, listen to everyone who posted above me .

Former vBulletin Support Staff
          Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
          Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Dustin L.
            • Mar 2011
            • 4.2.X

Yeah, definitely don't do this without a court-order.
            http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
            http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

• mikeinjersey
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Microsuck
              Yeah, definitely don't do this without a court-order.
              wow, didn't know this was so serious.

Should I remove IP viewing abilities from our Moderators then ? They've had IP viewing abilities for years..and i've never had an issue.

But now that this issue came up....there's noway I could guarantee that one of the moderators would send that fella the info he needs.

ya know ?

Comment

• Andy
                • Jan 2002
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by mikeinjersey

Should I remove IP viewing abilities from our Moderators then ?
                Yes. There are a lot of wacky people out there. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                  • Sep 2008

wow, didn't know this was so serious.

Should I remove IP viewing abilities from our Moderators then ? They've had IP viewing abilities for years..and i've never had an issue.

But now that this issue came up....there's noway I could guarantee that one of the moderators would send that fella the info he needs.

ya know ?
                  Well no, they could be on at a point in time and need to notate different IP's from a user if you suspect it's the same user being sneaky or well a number of different reasons. Long story short, unless you get into illegal issues and have some form of law enforcement contact you then you should not disclose a members IP address. I'm not a lawyer but your forum is like Vegas including your members privacy and we all know "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" do we not? *I would inform your staff of what is going on so they are aware and well prepared.

Anytime someone asks for such, tell them if it's that serious to have law enforcement take the appropriate actions and you'll be more than happy to follow the law and disclose if requested via a court-order plain and simple. Do not become tangled in disputes such as this, your priority is your site not their issue .

Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• beishe8
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by TheLastSuperman
                    your priority is your site not their issue .
                    Wise advice.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• mikeinjersey
                      • Apr 2005

Could I get advice on removing IP Viewing abilities for all Moderators and Super Moderators ?

I don't believe just disabling it in Usergroup Permissions is enough. (where it says "Can View IP Addresses" )

Because if I tick "No" there...can't they still look up IP's in /modcp/ ?

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                        • Sep 2008

Could I get advice on removing IP Viewing abilities for all Moderators and Super Moderators ?

I don't believe just disabling it in Usergroup Permissions is enough. (where it says "Can View IP Addresses" )

Because if I tick "No" there...can't they still look up IP's in /modcp/ ?
                        Yes they can, to remove that you'll need to do some custom coding or file edits, in fact if I remember correctly there is a modification on www.vbulletin.org that removes that from the modcp but I'm not 100% sure you'll need to search for it over there.

Comment

• mikeinjersey
                          • Apr 2005

would be great if this was part of the VB core product eventually.. because of these types of legal circumstances.

With the new additions of spam-blocking plugins, (Spam-O-Matic etc) the moderators needs to cross-reference IP's has diminished over the years....and the Admin can handle the few occasions that this still occurs.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...