Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheLastSuperman
    • Sep 2008

[Answered] Remove Activity from What's New and Show Recent Posts Again

The Activity Stream in vBulletin 4.2 is very nice however some wish to return the What's New tab back to how it was in previous versions. Here is a short guide showing you how to reset the What's New tab to show recent posts again instead of activity.

We start by visiting the new Navigation Manager: *AdminCP > Settings > Navigation Manager

Click image for larger version

Name:	RemoveActivity1.png
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	3723443

Now click "Go" to Edit the What's New Tab, here is a screenshot of the current settings:

Name:	RemoveActivity2.png
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	3723444

You need to make the following changes:

Name:	RemoveActivity3.png
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	3723445

For the Target URL replace: activity.php{session.sessionurl_q}
    With: search.php?{vb:raw session.sessionurl}do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post

For the Tab Script(s) replace: search.activity
    With: search
    *Leave this as search.activity if you still wish to utilize the Activity Stream AND if you want the What's New tab to show as highlighted when viewing.

Afterwards your What's New Tab will now return to how it was prior to the changes in vBulletin 4.2 with the introduction of the Activity Stream .
    *The Activity Stream is still active, it can be accessed via URL/activity.php

Edit: I'm leaving this up for 30 days at most in the "vBulletin 4 Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting forum", after that it will be moved to the vBulletin 4 Quick Tips and Customizations forum.
    Last edited by TheLastSuperman; Sun 3 Jun '12, 3:29pm.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
    Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
    Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!
  • Amaury
    • Mar 2012
    • 4.2.X

Thank you for this, Michael.

Now, is there a way to remove New Posts (or, as I renamed it, Search Forums) from the links in the navigation bar so there aren't duplicates? I actually like the stream, so I'd make a new tab completely for that.
    Last edited by Amaury; Fri 1 Jun '12, 6:04pm.
    Former vBulletin user

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
      • Sep 2008

You can edit a navbar tab, after saving it will then refresh the Navigation Manager page showing the primary tab then all the sub-links of that tab as well . View this article for more information https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/cont...nd-Edit-a-Link and in your case, your wanting to remove/delete a sub-navigation menu link instead of add so simply use the drop-down to delete the sub link.

Edit: There will also be a new video tutorial released tonight regarding the navigation manager so check back in a few hours.
      Edit #2: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/cont...gation-Manager
      Last edited by TheLastSuperman; Wed 27 Jun '12, 10:41am.

Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Amaury
        • Mar 2012
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by TheLastSuperman
        You can edit a navbar tab, after saving it will then refresh the Navigation Manager page showing the primary tab then all the sub-links of that tab as well . View this article for more information https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/cont...nd-Edit-a-Link and in your case, your wanting to remove/delete a sub-navigation menu link instead of add so simply use the drop-down to delete the sub link.

Edit: There will also be a new video tutorial released tonight regarding the navigation manager so check back in a few hours.
        You can also just click the tab in question and it will bring up additional stuff if it contains any, such as Forum. Also, I did try that, but there was no "Delete" option.

Anyway, looking forward to the video.
        Former vBulletin user

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
          • May 2002
          • 1.1.x

Just un-tick the "Active" box next to the link and click "Save" at the bottom.

Name:	navigationmanager_activenavlink.png
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	3687447

Comment

• Amaury
            • Mar 2012
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Matthew Gordon
            Just un-tick the "Active" box next to the link and click "Save" at the bottom.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59850[/ATTACH]
            Perfect. Thanks, Matthew.

Edit: Why is the Activity Stream tab still staying highlighted?

I put in search in the script just like TLS said to do.
            Last edited by Amaury; Sun 3 Jun '12, 7:56am. Reason: Note
            Former vBulletin user

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amaury25
              Perfect. Thanks, Matthew.

Edit: Why is the Activity Stream tab still staying highlighted?

I put in search in the script just like TLS said to do.
              Double-check what you have, when I make these changes and then visit activity.php the Forum navbar tab is the one highlighted, what's new is not.

Comment

• Amaury
                • Mar 2012
                • 4.2.X

Double-check what you have, when I make these changes and then visit activity.php the Forum navbar tab is the one highlighted, what's new is not.
                Fixed it shortly after my post. I didn't have "Append tabid" on yes.
                Last edited by Amaury; Sun 3 Jun '12, 10:20am. Reason: Typo
                Former vBulletin user

Comment

• jberetta
                  • Oct 2009

does this completely turn off activity stream? I absolutely hate it and everything about it and want it gone.

Comment

• Ion Saliu
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 4.2.X

Let’s wait for vBulletin 4.2.1 that will have the same start as vB 4.1.12. But let admins know how to default to Activity Stream, IF they so wish.

I can’t believe I urge vBulletin to launch a new release (could it be bug-free?!)

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by jberetta
                      does this completely turn off activity stream? I absolutely hate it and everything about it and want it gone.
                      No, it is still enabled and accessible if someone knows the url i.e. site.com/activity.php and it also still shows in a members profile and other however you can change that by using - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2333472 see post #15 by BirdOfPrey5 .

Originally posted by Ion Saliu
                      Let’s wait for vBulletin 4.2.1 that will have the same start as vB 4.1.12. But let admins know how to default to Activity Stream, IF they so wish.

I can’t believe I urge vBulletin to launch a new release (could it be bug-free?!)
                      This is intended to show this way, it is a new feature. If you do not like it you can reset the What's New Tab back to how it was per the above and also use the link I just included and set the profiles back to visitor messages by default .

Comment

• LbR
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 3.8.x

After following that whenever someone logs on my forum domain it lodges in search rather than showing forums

edit: figured it out
                        - Humans have the remarkable ability to get exactly what they must have.But there is a difference between a "must" and "want." (Jim Rohn)

Comment

• vinayagam
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 4.2.X

i think This is also will help

see https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2325706

Comment

• dougdirac
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 4.2.X

The Activity Stream in vBulletin 4.2 is very nice however some wish to return the What's New tab back to how it was in previous versions. Here is a short guide showing you how to reset the What's New tab to show recent posts again instead of activity.
                            Afterwards your What's New Tab will now return to how it was prior to the changes in vBulletin 4.2 with the introduction of the Activity Stream .
                            Except that it's not. It used to be that What's New returned Today's Posts for people who were not logged in and New Posts for people that were. I have a lot of users that want to see what's new without having to log in. But if they click the button now, they essentially get an error message.
                            Tesla Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Roadster, Cybertruck, Semi, and EV owners and enthusiasts forum, news blog, community, podcast, and marketplace.

So how do I fix it?

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                              • Sep 2008

What is the error message? I load the what's new page fine on your site.

Comment