X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mikeinjersey
    This recent thread acknowledges you guys knew about this all along with InnoDb -

that future tables will be created as InnoDb without us even knowing.. Did you guys not think of people running Repair / Optimize tables in AdminCP and having a similar catastrophic innocent like I had today ? That command only recognizes MyIsam tables..

---If I could get a reply about what to do before going to bed...that'll be great. Should I dump and change those tables from InnoDB to Myisam ? When I run MsqlCheck in the future, i'd like everything to be repaired in 1 process.
    You should contact your hosting provider and have them repair the database.

MyISAM, INNODB - Doesn't matter if the database is properly maintained. However if you want to switch it is your choice. You would have to fix the crashed tables first. If you want your tables to MyISAM, then you should configure your database to use MyISAM as the default storage engine. MySQL AB made the choice to change the default storage engine to INNDOB, not vBulletin. We just use the default type.

The Repair and Optimize tools in the Admin CP should not be run on a regular basis. They are repair tools not maintenance tools.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mikeinjersey
      • Apr 2005

Wayne, I mentioned in last post...I specifically deleted the crashed DB and everything is working fine. The only issue is with the 270MB overhead in the INNODB files.

update:

good news. I changed them all to MyISAM and re-ran mysqlcheck.. and no errors now. The 270MB overhead showing on the Admin CP - Repair Optimize screen is gone now on all those files.

everything is running fine.. but, 2 more and i'll be out of your hair for the rest of the week.

#1 I noticed in PhpMyAdmin just now that for the Collation, 40% of my files are UTF8 and 60% are Latin Swedish. It's probably been working fine like this for years...and I saw another thread of others saying similar...not really making it a big deal. But Vb's response makes it seem like a serious issue. Should I really change them all from 1 to another ? Is there a quick way to do them all at once ?

#2 I still haven't received a response in my support ticket yet about this specific issue : After successfully upgrading to 4.2.0 and having no errors using /install/upgrade.php to do so. I notice today that if I re-visit that specific file again , it gives me the option to upgrade to 4.2.0 again. (even though i'm already 4.2.0 ) Is that normal ? If not, what specifically should it say when revisiting /install/upgrade.php after successfully upgrading to the latest version ?

thanks much. (going to bed)
      Last edited by mikeinjersey; Sat 26 May '12, 10:48pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

#1 I noticed in PhpMyAdmin just now that for the Collation, 40% of my files are UTF8 and 60% are Latin Swedish. It's probably been working fine like this for years...and I saw another thread of others saying similar...not really making it a big deal. But Vb's response makes it seem like a serious issue. Should I really change them all from 1 to another ? Is there a quick way to do them all at once ?
        Ideally they should have all the same collation. Different collations can cause problems in the future because vBulletin will simply use the default for the database and you shouldn't mix collations in the same table. The places where this causes the most issues is double-byte languages like Chinese, Japanese, Arabic and Hebrew.

#2 I still haven't received a response in my support ticket yet about this specific issue : After successfully upgrading to 4.2.0 and having no errors using /install/upgrade.php to do so. I notice today that if I re-visit that specific file again , it gives me the option to upgrade to 4.2.0 again. (even though i'm already 4.2.0 ) Is that normal ? If not, what specifically should it say when revisiting /install/upgrade.php after successfully upgrading to the latest version ?
        It will proceed to the final step to reimport style, languages and additional products. This is normal and won't hurt your system.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mikeinjersey
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          It will proceed to the final step to reimport style, languages and additional products. This is normal and won't hurt your system.
          that's kinda weird though...anybody that has our customer number could re-run the update over and over again without our knowledge.. (no password needed)

Comment

• borbole
            • Feb 2010

that's kinda weird though...anybody that has our customer number could re-run the update over and over again without our knowledge.. (no password needed)
            Remove the upgrade.php file if you are so concerned about it.

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

Or remove/rename the entire install folder, it isnt requierd for the day to day operation of vB.
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• adabros
                • Mar 2005

Hi!
                excuse, for admin privileges whitout tools.php , what are i doing?

Comment

• Boofo
                  • Apr 2002
                  • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Paul M
                  Or remove/rename the entire install folder, it isnt requierd for the day to day operation of vB.
                  I remove everything in the install directory after every upgrade except for 4 files:

.htaccess
                  index.html
                  functions_installupgrade.php
                  mysql-schema.php

Good habit to get into.
                  vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• DannyITR
                    • Jan 2002

I've recreated this issue and added it to JIRA here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-15180

What was the need to run tools.php?
                    In the bug report it reads:
                    Use these files and this init.php goes in the install directory.
                    But I cannot find the files he speaks of. Where can I download them?
                    Danny
                    My Site ---->www.montrealracing.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by DannyITR
                      In the bug report it reads:

But I cannot find the files he speaks of. Where can I download them?
                      Due to the way the files are built, these presented a security risk and have been removed.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• DannyITR
                        • Jan 2002

Due to the way the files are built, these presented a security risk and have been removed.
                        Thank you for the reply. So what is my course of action right now? Do I need to wait for the 4.2.1 release? I need the new tools.php to fix my site.
                        Danny
                        My Site ---->www.montrealracing.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by DannyITR
                          Thank you for the reply. So what is my course of action right now? Do I need to wait for the 4.2.1 release? I need the new tools.php to fix my site.
                          Open a support ticket please.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• postcd
                            • Feb 2012

I was able to sort out this crappy error by doing upgrade (uploading my vbulletin /install directory). so hope it will help anyone.
                            vBulletin hosting from $0.5 monthly

Comment