X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boofo
    • Apr 2002
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Style Varibale manager not loading in admin cp

Has anyone run into the problem of the style variable editor timing out and not loading inn the admin cp? I am working on a client's site and the style variable editor refuses to load and times out saying it cannot load the page. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing that or what to look for to fix it?
    Last edited by Boofo; Thu 17 May '12, 9:00am.
    vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Do they have Suhosin or mod_security(2) installed?

They may need to have their security rules modified.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Boofo
      • Apr 2002
      • 4.1.x

Suhosin = yes
      mod_security = no

Would that cause just the Style Variable Editor to time out and everything else to seem okay? And what do I need to do to fix this?
      vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

The trigger is probably there are more than 100 variables in the form on that page. You should get the same behavior if you tried to edit All Settings under Settings -> Options.

This can be fixed by editing the php.ini (requires root access to the server) or by via a .htaccess file with the following contents:

php_flag suhosin.cookie.encrypt Off
        php_value suhosin.request.max_vars 2048
        php_value suhosin.post.max_vars 2048

You can create your own .htaccess file and upload it to your main forum directory. It's a simple text file.

If this doesn't work or you get an 'Internal Server Error' after doing this, then unfortunately this means that your host is not allowing this change. The only thing you can do now is to ask your host to make the necessary changes to suhosin.

Here is a post that lists some of the recommended suhosin settings for compatibility with vB:

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Boofo
          • Apr 2002
          • 4.1.x

So, I just add this to an .htaccess file like this?

php_flag suhosin.cookie.encrypt Off
          php_value suhosin.request.max_vars 2048
          php_value suhosin.post.max_vars 2048
          and that should fix it? Unless, like you said, they have disabled being able to change it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Those are the most basic settings that fix most of the issues that are caused by Suhosin. The linked thread has more suggestions.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Boofo
              • Apr 2002
              • 4.1.x

I made a .htaccess file with the following contents:

Code:
              php_flag suhosin.cookie.encrypt = Off
              php_flag suhosin.session.encrypt = Off
              php_value suhosin.request.max_vars = 2048
              php_value suhosin.post.max_vars = 2048
              php_value suhosin.memory_limit = 32M
              php_value suhosin.log.sapi = 511
              php_value suhosin.get.max_value_length = 1024
              # php_value suhosin.executor.eval.blacklist = "exec,system,passthru,shell_exec,fopen,file_get_contents,file_put_contents,tmpnam"
              and added it to the /forum directory. I wasn't sure about flag or value on some of those, so I guessed. Are they correct?

The style variable editor is still timing out.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Boofo
                I made a .htaccess file with the following contents:

Code:
                php_flag suhosin.cookie.encrypt = Off
                php_flag suhosin.session.encrypt = Off
                php_value suhosin.request.max_vars = 2048
                php_value suhosin.post.max_vars = 2048
                php_value suhosin.memory_limit = 32M
                php_value suhosin.log.sapi = 511
                php_value suhosin.get.max_value_length = 1024
                # php_value suhosin.executor.eval.blacklist = "exec,system,passthru,shell_exec,fopen,file_get_contents,file_put_contents,tmpnam"
                and added it to the /forum directory. I wasn't sure about flag or value on some of those, so I guessed. Are they correct?

The style variable editor is still timing out.
                I've ran into this once or twice where a client insisted on suhosin... be sure you upload that .htaccess to the /admincp directory not just the forum root, now try with the modified .htaccess in admincp to see if it will work.

Edit: Why is the last line commented out? Try removing the # in front of the last line if uploading to admincp does not work initially because atm the last line is not being read.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
                Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
                Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Boofo
                  • Apr 2002
                  • 4.1.x

Does it need to be in the forum root AND the admincp or just the admincp?

Comment

• Boofo
                    • Apr 2002
                    • 4.1.x

Nope, that doesn't work either, they must have it blocked from changing it in the .htaccess on the server.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                      • Sep 2008

Try adding this line to .htaccess, above the other suhosin lines of course edit the value appropriately:

Code:
                      suPHP_ConfigPath /home/public_html/thesitesfoldername
                      Does that help?

Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Boofo
                        • Apr 2002
                        • 4.1.x

You mean this?

suPHP_ConfigPath /home/public_html/forum

Comment

• Boofo
                          • Apr 2002
                          • 4.1.x

That didn't help anyway. But I did find a work-a-round. I added a cpnav file with this link:

template.php?do=modify&expandset=4&group=all
                          If they go into that first and THEN click the Style Variable editor GO button, it opens up fine. It is only when you try to go directly to it that it hangs and errors out.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                            • Sep 2008

You mean this?
                            Easiest way to find out is:

> AdminCP > Maintenance > PHP Info

Scroll to find: _SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]

Should have a value similar to /home/thesitesfoldername/public_html

And no I'm not sure if this will in fact help you however I'm trying my best to find something that will because I have went through this in the past and one time we finally had to disable it long enough for me to export the style, then re-enable and when I was done with the style on localhost they disabled again long enough for me to import the revised style. If your running in circles, perhaps coordinating the disabling/re-enabling when you have the style sorted would be quicker than troubleshooting the suhosin issue atm, just a thought.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                              • Sep 2008

That didn't help anyway. But I did find a work-a-round. I added a cpnav file with this link:

If they go into that first and THEN click the Style Variable editor GO button, it opens up fine. It is only when you try to go directly to it that it hangs and errors out.
                              And your able to edit stylevars and save with this?

Edit: Just ensure everything functions as-intended before we brush this under the rug .

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...