Performance improvement for big forums - do you see any ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stryka
    • Aug 2002

[Forum] Performance improvement for big forums - do you see any ?

I remember that alot of big forums complained of 50% CPU spikes after upgrading from 3.8 to 4.x... and VB admitted that there were some issues...

its been a while since the early CPU spike complaints and now the latest release was supposed to really help

SO my question to all the big (relative term) forums on dedicated servers... have you seen any performance improvements with this latest update and the suggested tweaking of turning off some features ?

I am still on 3.8, 3million+ posts with no need for CMS... only the mobile theme, updated usercp and new mods are enticing right now...

If i ever had one wish for VB... i wish they never went the CMS route and simply created a proper bridge to WordPress... WP usesr don't have a proper forum and VB doesn't have a proper CMS... it would've been a perfrect marriage...
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

If you have no need of the CMS, just disable it in the product manager.....
    4.1.12 should be stable enough to upgrade to, I don't believe there are any major overhead issues now on a stock board...of course, what mods you install may well impact that.
    DigitalPoint has a lot of code optimisations for vB4 on his site, but last time I checked pretty much every single one had been implemented in the core product now. Even things like WhosOnline and Memberlist are more efficient as of 4.1.12, the last few releases have been reducing the use of "bit" templates.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• rajubd
      • Apr 2009
      • 4.1.x

You need to upgrade your server if you want same performance like 3.8 on vb4.1.2
      MobilePhoneTalk.Com - Mobile Phone Community Powered By EuroVPS.Com

Comment

• stryka
        • Aug 2002

this is what has puzzled me... Mar.B says that there are no overhead issues now with a stock board... and i have a stock board...

but then there are ppl like Rajubd that say i would need to upgrade if i want same performance like 3.8...

this difference in opinion has been common and i know everyone has their own type of installs... wish there was a forum to discuss this more...

Originally posted by rajubd
        You need to upgrade your server if you want same performance like 3.8 on vb4.1.2

Comment

• donald1234
          • Oct 2011
          • 4.1.x

I believe the min server requirements to run 4X are higher than 3X which would suggest that 4X is more resource intensive.

Comment

• Paul M
            Former Lead Developer
            vB.Com & vB.Org
            • Sep 2004

I didnt know we had minimum server requirements (other than php & mysql versions).
            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• George L
              Former vBulletin Support
              • May 2000
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by stryka
              this is what has puzzled me... Mar.B says that there are no overhead issues now with a stock board... and i have a stock board...

but then there are ppl like Rajubd that say i would need to upgrade if i want same performance like 3.8...

this difference in opinion has been common and i know everyone has their own type of installs... wish there was a forum to discuss this more...
              It is partially true that vB 4.x uses more server resources due to the increased complexity of the vB 4.x code and the way MySQL storage engine tables are used as by default for vB 4.x 6 vB tables are converted from default MySQL MyISAM storage engine tables to InnoDB storage engine if MySQL InnoDB storage engine support is enabled within MySQL server. This change in general will increase average resource usage related to MySQL as MySQL InnoDB tables use more resources but provided InnoDB related MySQL tuning and optimisation is done, it will provide better performance for larger forums. You can read my personal blog article at http://vbtechsupport.com/675/ on why you should use InnoDB or not and how to switch back from MySQL InnoDB to MySQL MyISAM tables after vB 4.x upgrade, if you don't have the server resources to handle InnoDB table usage.

After upgrading to vB 4.x, you may want to head over to Server Configuration forum https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...-Configuration for a tune up and optimisation of your settings. Start a new thread in that forum with info asked at https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...sts-13-07-2011. If you have CentOS/RHEL or Debian OS based server you can also use mysqlmymonlite.sh to gather all info required.

If you want to regularly monitor stats, in the mysqlmymonlite.zip file there's a readme.txt file which explains how to setup a regular cron job to schedule gathering and saving stats to timestamped text files, i.e. every 1hr logging so you can see how your server stats are every 1hr throughout the day.

But remember, this really depends on the forum size, the server configuration environment and mysql server configuration for each vB customer. i.e. if you had MySQL server with InnoDB storage engine support disabled, vB 4.x upgrade won't convert those 6x vB tables to InnoDB, so you wouldn't have InnoDB related MySQL usage to deal with.

But for large forums, I'm liking vB 4.x more as the framework has more potential to scale large forums i.e. vB4 innodb/search http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog.php?b=2376 and Sphinx search plugin http://products.digitalpoint.com/vbu...inx-search.php - just these items will allow your vB4 forum to scale better, but of course may need more server resources. I deal with vB 4.x forums in 10-30 million post with 600-1 million members registered and 10-20K users online and the framework in vB 4.x allows forums to scale perfectly
              Last edited by George L; Sun 22 Apr '12, 3:46pm.
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• AusPhotography
                • Nov 2007

vB4.1.12 is the fastest we've had with the 4.x series.
                environment: Centos 6.9, Apache v2.4.25, PHP 5.6.30/xCache, MariaDB 10.22 -- vB5 Connect Licensed

AusPhotography - Australia's Premier Photographic Forum vB4.2.3
                Rick (site owner) and Kym (site tech) sharing this account

Comment

• digitalpoint
                  • Mar 2004
                  • 4.1.x

Generally speaking, I would guess the current version of 4.x uses about 10% more resources than the last 3.x version. Simply due to the added internal complexity for some things.

This is a massive improvement over the early versions of 4.x which were borderline unusable for high traffic sites (early versions of 4.x would bring a server to it's knees if you used the CMS for example).

High traffic sites should disable the member list (I'd even argue small sites should as it really serves no functional purpose... when was the last time you used it to find a user?), as it can do bad things to your DB server (but it's no different than 3.x).
                  Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                  Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• stryka
                    • Aug 2002

Definitely appreciate your input on this digitalpoint!

I can live with a 10% increase

@eva... thanks for the insight as well...

Was actually hoping either of you chimed in on this

I have been holding out on 3.8 until the performance got better...

Originally posted by digitalpoint
                    Generally speaking, I would guess the current version of 4.x uses about 10% more resources than the last 3.x version. Simply due to the added internal complexity for some things.

This is a massive improvement over the early versions of 4.x which were borderline unusable for high traffic sites (early versions of 4.x would bring a server to it's knees if you used the CMS for example).

High traffic sites should disable the member list (I'd even argue small sites should as it really serves no functional purpose... when was the last time you used it to find a user?), as it can do bad things to your DB server (but it's no different than 3.x).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...