X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MacroPhotoPro
    • Feb 2012
    • 4.2.x

[Forum] Bypassing Paid Subscription via Groups

I have just found a breach to the Paid Subscription Membership feature that needs immediate correction. It seems like if any non-paying, Registered Member clicks on the Member Profile of a paying Subscribed Member, he is then able to see the following "Join Groups" link:

Well, then all the non-payer has to do is click on this link and he can bypass the payment process and join the Paid Subscribers group for free:

This clearly makes a mockery of having a Paid Subscription Database, so my question is how can I configure my board to where NO ONE can see this "Join Groups" link except for Subscribed Members? (Note: I do not want to prevent anyone from viewing other user profiles; what I want is to prevent anyone from seeing/joining these links and pages, except Subscribed Members.)

Or, as an alternative, what I would like to do is eliminate these "anyone can join" joining conditions of the Paid Subscriber group.

Thanks for any help,

Jack
    Attached Files
    Website | Facebook | Flickr Photostream
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

This is a problem in your setup. You need to make sure that the group is not publicly joinable under Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager. The Permission: Public (Joinable) Custom Usergroups should be set to no.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MacroPhotoPro
      • Feb 2012
      • 4.2.x

That was it; thank you Wayne.

Comment

• MacroPhotoPro
        • Feb 2012
        • 4.2.x

One more question, should I have the configuration set to where this group "overrides" the primary group of Registered Users?

In other words, once paid, does this mean the Subscribed User's permissions "override" those of the default Registered User?

Jack

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

The only permission to Override is this one: Can override primary group title/markup

It refers specifically to the title and markup assigned to the primary group. This is a personal choice on your part.

As far as other permissions and multiple usergroups are generally concerned, a Yes will alway override a No. The only exceptions are Infraction and Banned usergroups.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MacroPhotoPro
            • Feb 2012
            • 4.2.x

Am I correct in the belief that, if I leave the the selection Can override primary group title/markup at "no," then the Paid Subscribers group will still retain the permissions of Registered Users group ... but if I select "yes" then the Paid Subscribers will inherit the permissions I have assigned specifically for Paid Subscribers?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MacroPhotoPro
              Am I correct in the belief that, if I leave the the selection Can override primary group title/markup at "no," then the Paid Subscribers group will still retain the permissions of Registered Users group ... but if I select "yes" then the Paid Subscribers will inherit the permissions I have assigned specifically for Paid Subscribers?
              No...

Registered Usergroup - Title = Registered Users.

Subscription Usergroup - Title = Premium User.

The permission allows them to set their display title as "Premium User".

There is a permission "Allow Users to have Member Groups" that can be set to no to prevent inheritance. Then secondary groups wouldn't work properly. This is set to yes in the default groups except for the Banned Group.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...