X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rivacom
    • Oct 2006
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Certain users getting blocked by not enough characters

I have a custom usergroup with about 100 people in it. A large number of them are having issues posting, while others in the same usergroup are having no problem at all posting. I thought maybe it was a browser issue, but users have tried multiple browsers with no luck. We have just recently moved to vBulletin so I don't know if this would have to do with the migration or something else. Any help would be great! Thanks!
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

And what is the exact issue they are having when posting?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• rivacom
      • Oct 2006
      • 4.1.x

Users are saying that they have written large portions of text but it's still saying that they need to at least post 10 characters.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Try disabling your modifications/plugins and see if you still have this problem.
        Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit includes/config.php and add this line right under <?php

PHP Code:
        define('DISABLE_HOOKS'true); 

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• rivacom
          • Oct 2006
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Lynne
          Try disabling your modifications/plugins and see if you still have this problem.
          Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit includes/config.php and add this line right under <?php

PHP Code:
          Tried this, still get the warning about minimum characters needed to post. Tried reducing it to 2 characters but it still asks for more characters even when you post more than that(again this is only a couple of users who seem to get this). It seems to be for posting in the forums, and sending PMs.

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

PHP Code:

Comment

• rivacom
              • Oct 2006
              • 4.1.x

As I said, I tried your suggestion about disabling all mods/plugins. It didn't make a difference and the users get the same error about the character requirement of at least 10 characters.

Comment

• KW802
                • Jul 2003

Is there any chance that they are trying to post everything inside of the [quote][/quote] tags? That is one of the few BB codes that does not count towards the character count meaning that even if they quote 1000 character they'll still get the error message about it not being long enough.
                [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

Sorry about that. Run Maintenance > Diagnostics > Suspect File Versions. Are any *default* vbulletin files listed as not containing expect contents or as missing? If so, reupload your default files and then verify you don't get any of those results.

Create a new style with no parent:
                  • Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Add New Style
                  • Parent Style: No Parent Style
                  • Title: Default vBulletin
                  • Allow User Selection: Yes
                  • Save

Then browse the site using that totally default vbulletin style - do you still have the same problem?

Comment

• rivacom
                    • Oct 2006
                    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by KW802
                    Is there any chance that they are trying to post everything inside of the tags? That is one of the few BB codes that does not count towards the character count meaning that even if they quote 1000 character they'll still get the error message about it not being long enough.
                    It happens with new posts as well. So I don't think so.

I will have to try the new style when one of the users is on.

Comment

• rivacom
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 4.1.x

So it seems if the users who can't post, change their theme to the default theme, they can post. But our custom style is the same as the default theme, with stylevar edits. So What would be stopping them from posting?

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

Something is different between your custom style and default style. Are you saying *none* of the templates are modified on your custom style?

Comment

• rivacom
                          • Oct 2006
                          • 4.1.x

Other than what plugins have added(which I've tried disabling) nothing else has been edited other than the stylevars. And again, what kind of edit would stop 2 out of 50 people from posting?

Comment

• Lynne
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Oct 2004

If you 'broke' the style (improper html) and those users are using a browser that isn't correcting it properly (or can't correct it), then that could cause issues.

Comment

• rivacom
                              • Oct 2006
                              • 4.1.x

Which would make sense, but I have users using 3 or 4 different browsers with the same issue.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...