• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain_Gossip
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.5.x

[Forum] Fake Registrations

I have lately a lot of fake regsitrations. E.g. [email protected]

Obviously they can not confirm their account, but they keep coming. Everyday 20-30. What use do these people have doing this? They can not post...
  • acwatts
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Spam bots.

I use an addon that deletes accounts that have not activated after 10 days.

Comment

• donald1234
      • Oct 2011
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Captain_Gossip
      I have lately a lot of fake regsitrations. E.g. [email protected]

Obviously they can not confirm their account, but they keep coming. Everyday 20-30. What use do these people have doing this? They can not post...
      Ban their IP address.

Comment

• chess100
        • Apr 2011
        • 4.1.x

Human verification will help.
        this is a good option and you will have a lot less span.

Comment

• DAMINK
          • Jun 2010

Me personally i find none of the standard vb options to work. All the human verification options are a waste of time IMO.
          To the point i dont even bother using them anymore! I literally find they are of 0 use. All they actually do is make it hard for people to register who are real.
          Here is my registration page to give you an example.

Nice and clean and none of that verification stuff. Dont use that askimat thing either.
          What i do is use stopthebots mod and a couple others.
          I prevent all new members from posting urls, homepages and especially albums.

I still get bots registering but nothing beyond that. No posts and they cant spam there profile so they leave.
          As for the ones that do register but cant do anything well i just leave them there.
          I could prune them i guess but thats just more work for me and i find work to be over rated.
          FTW Forum <- Home of the damned!

Comment

• Captain_Gossip
            • Nov 2005
            • 3.5.x

Thanks all for answering! I have human verification on, so all these accounts must have been registered in person. And for what use? They can not use it because they have to verify their email... Anybody has an idea/Thanks again!

Paul

Comment

• DAMINK
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Captain_Gossip
              Thanks all for answering! I have human verification on, so all these accounts must have been registered in person. And for what use? They can not use it because they have to verify their email... Anybody has an idea/Thanks again!

Paul
              Not at all mate. Xrumer and programs like that can easily work out the human verification. Thats why i dont use it.
              The fake emails will stop them yes. But some bots make temp emails for this purpose and do validate the registration.
              Some wait months then fill in there details. So simply register then come back a month later and fill in info.
              Use mods from the vb.org site to stop these registrations. Dont rely on the default vb options. They dont work. Well thats been my experience.
              FTW Forum <- Home of the damned!

Comment

• mindstream
                • Oct 2009
                • 3.8.x

Check your Server log for the real IP sometimes script can show wrong IP. I had different IP show up and when i check the server they all came from China.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...