X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n.stanley
    • May 2011
    • 4.1.x

[CMS] Disable "View Articles" option

In the user profile, alongside the links "Send Private Message", "Find Latest Posts", etc, there is a "View Article" link, which searches for articles within the CMS created by the user whose profile you're viewing. I don't want members to be able to do this.

Is there any way to disable this feature?
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

No, there is no setting to remove that. You would need to edit the template to remove it.

To find the template to modify, do this - vboptions > General Settings > Add Template Name in HTML Comments > set to Yes . Then go back to your page and view the source code and you will see the name of the template called around your part of the code. (Sometimes the template is the one mentioned at the very top of the page source.)

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• n.stanley
      • May 2011
      • 4.1.x

Thanks, Lynne. I have removed the link, but it would seem my problem extends a little further.

The "View Articles" link for my "admin" account displays all the articles I have made (e.g. http://mymadwebsite.org/list.php/author/1-admin).
      As far as I can tell, because "permission preview" has been set to "no" for every article, you can't actually read anything, but the dates that each article were published is displayed in a list (...and I have "Display publish date" set to "no"). It seems messy leaving this sort of functionality open. Looks messy too.

I found this article about removing list.php, which is the .php which displays this random list, but deleting the file completely would result in a bad "Page not found" error, which I don't want.

Is there a simple-ish way to remove this random and seemingly unnecessary list of article publish dates? I can see its purpose for a site with many publishers, many categories, etc, but in my case I'm using it on a smaller scale as a more regular sort of website.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

I though you removed the link, so I'm not sure where you are seeing it now. Can't you remove it wherever you are seeing it still?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• n.stanley
          • May 2011
          • 4.1.x

I removed the link successfully, however the page that displays all of the articles that I have created still (obviously) exists (list.php).

The problem I have is that if someone for whatever reason wanted to know every article I have created, all they'd have to do is go to: my-site's-URL.com/list.php/author/my-username . I realise the likelihood of this happening is low, but I find tying up loose ends like this to be very important to maintaining the site's integrity.

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

Then you would need to write a plugin to give an error message or something like that when someone tried to do that. (f VB_ENTRY equals list.php then vbulletin standard error message). If you need help with this, you should ask over on vbulletin.org, the modification site.

Comment