My site has been hacked beyond repair. Any way to import old posts to fresh install?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mandy02
    • Mar 2010

[Forum] My site has been hacked beyond repair. Any way to import old posts to fresh install?

My website has been hacked beyond repair. The database has too many changes to back it out and I didn't keep regular backups(lesson learned the hard way!). The only backup my host has is after the hack, so that does me no good. I want to just wipe everything out and put a fresh install of VBulletin on my site and secure everything. What really hurts though is that I have years of posts on my site. It just kills me to think that all of that history is going to be gone. Is there any way to import just the posts to the new instance of VBulletin?
  • borbole
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by mandy02
    My website has been hacked beyond repair. The database has too many changes to back it out and I didn't keep regular backups(lesson learned the hard way!). The only backup my host has is after the hack, so that does me no good. I want to just wipe everything out and put a fresh install of VBulletin on my site and secure everything. What really hurts though is that I have years of posts on my site. It just kills me to think that all of that history is going to be gone. Is there any way to import just the posts to the new instance of VBulletin?
    You can''t do a partial import. But what do you mean by "too many changes to back it out". How were you hacked? Is the content still in the db? Because it might not be lost.

Comment

• mandy02
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by borbole
      You can''t do a partial import. But what do you mean by "too many changes to back it out". How were you hacked? Is the content still in the db? Because it might not be lost.
      It's the same problem that felixxx999 encountered in this thread. https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ed-Please-help!

Wayne Luke suggested 8 steps to try and find the places that have been compromised. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to learn everything he is saying that needs to be done(F/T working mom with a newborn). I did do steps 6 and 7 on the database and ended up with lot's of results. So, I'm assuming some parts of my database are compromised. When I upgraded to the latest VBulletin the problems actually got worse. Where one link was redirecting, now a lot more are doing so. I changed my passwords and everything already. I'm not familiar with it enough to really know what I'm looking for in terms of the files being compromised. My host said they would not do a scan of the files either. My backups that I have are newer than when I was first hacked.

At this point I would feel better just having my host nuke my entire directory and installing a fresh copy of VBulletin and then securing it the best I can and creating regular backups in the event that this happens again. But I would like to save my threads somehow and even my PM's if possible. I don't care about anything else.

Comment

• mandy02
        • Mar 2010

Oh and yes the content is still in my DB.

Comment

• oldlock
          • Jun 2009
          • 3.8.x

If you have nothing to loose let someone look at it for you ?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

Do you have a backup from immediately before the hack? If so, restore this to a new database and edit your config.php file to point to that new database.

If you aren't already backing up regularly, I'd look to do it as soon as you're sorted. There's a Cron based backup modification at vbulletin.org - you can find this on the following link:

Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment