X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worried
    • Dec 2008
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Private forums no longer included in What's New

After upgrading to vB 4.1.11, What's New is not including posts from private forums. I have not changed those forum settings. Any idea what the problem is before I start a trouble ticket?
  • ENF
    • Apr 2002

Hmm. Haven't noticed that this is happening.

Will check with one of my sites and see if this is able to be replicated.

Edit: Tested our admin forums for one site, works as expected. Regular user does not see thread from that forum in "What's New" -- Managers, Moderators and other permitted staff: can see new threads in the private forum via What's New. (tested on live 4.1.11 system)
    Last edited by ENF; Thu 22 Mar '12, 11:33pm. Reason: Updated Test Info & English Breakage
    To be updated...

Comment

• Peter Reuss
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.8.x

I am having the same issue. After upgrading to 4.1.11 posts from private forums no longer show up in the "What's New" for those with permission to see them.

Comment

• worried
        • Dec 2008
        • 4.2.X

I opened a trouble ticket. I reuploaded all my files, cleared everything listed in the suspect files, created a new style. Still not working.

Comment

• Peter Reuss
          • Aug 2006
          • 3.8.x

Let me know what you hear!

Comment

• worried
            • Dec 2008
            • 4.2.X

Got my trouble ticket answered. You'll have this problem if you have upgraded to 4.1.11 and chose not to have your private forums indexed:

admincp > Forums & Moderators > Forum Manager > Edit Forum > Index New Posts in Search Engine > No

I'd hate to have my private forums show up in Google.

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

This has absolutely nothing to do with Google. It has to do with running a search on your own forums. If you Moderators wish to search for a post in the Moderator Forum and you have Index New Posts in Search Engine set to No for that forum, then they will be unable to search in that forum. Users who do not have access to the forum would not be able to search the forum and google can certainly not search the forum. The setting only has to do with people having permission to access a forum being allowed to actually search for anything in the forum.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by worried
                Got my trouble ticket answered. You'll have this problem if you have upgraded to 4.1.11 and chose not to have your private forums indexed:

admincp > Forums & Moderators > Forum Manager > Edit Forum > Index New Posts in Search Engine > No

I'd hate to have my private forums show up in Google.
                Has nothing to do with Google but vBulletin's internal search engine. If you set that option to No, those forums are excluded from the Getnew function.

Google, Bing, Baidu, Ask, Yahoo, etc... can only see what guests see. They can't see and index your private forums.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• worried
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 4.2.X

Thanks for the explanation guys.

Comment

• puertoblack2003
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 6.X

thanks guys this information helped me, after i upgrade to 4.1.11 i had this same issue.

Comment

• sHORTYWZ
                      • Jan 2002
                      • 4.2.x

Same issue after upgrading to 4.1.11 - this makes sense... my question now, however, is what changed in 4.1.11 that caused this change in behavior? I never changed the index option for the forum in question on my board. I can't say for certain whether it was set to on or off prior to the upgrade, but that means that either the upgrade changed the option, or that the option never worked previously...

Comment

• sHORTYWZ
                        • Jan 2002
                        • 4.2.x

Answered my own question for anyone else curious - this was a bug that is now resolved.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...