Attempting to use GoDaddy hosting for an Install.. and getting MySQL error #2006

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EvilCensor
    • Mar 2012
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Attempting to use GoDaddy hosting for an Install.. and getting MySQL error #2006

Started trying to do an install last night - but near the end of Stage 6 I get error 2006 - "database has gone away".

GoDaddy said they could not replicate and asked for a screenshot - which instantly irritated me as I felt I had given them ample information, I fail to see how a screenshot would help.. about to cancel I think.

I have a low spec VDS with nfoservers (2 core/2gb RAM), would this offer better performance than GoDaddy - or do I need to go with someone else for reliable vBulletin hosting?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

We don't really recommend GoDaddy as a viable hosting provider. They tend to oversell their resources and only provide minimal support. There are a number of problems with their servers that become more prevalent as your site grows. At the very least, never purchase a Windows hosting product from them. vBulletin does not run well on their Windows servers due to various configuration issues they have on the servers.

The Virtual Dedicated Server will offer much better performance that GoDaddy's servers which are often over populated with thousands of little sites eating at resources.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• EvilCensor
      • Mar 2012
      • 4.1.x

Thank you for a timely reply.. waited near enough 17 hours for GoDaddy to respond. I had cancelled the hosting side of things with them just a few moments ago.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...