X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gayla
    • Feb 2012
    • 4.0.x

[Forum] Change Welcome PM Text

I'm trying to change the text in the Welcome PM that is sent when a new person joins. I've not been successful. Here's what I've done:

AdminCP -> Settings -> Options -> User Registration Options.

Under "Send Welcome PM", I added "Admin" as the username the PM should be sent from.

I clicked the link for "PM Body" and the phrase manager screen opens in a new tab.

At the bottom section, I click on "Copy Default Text" then I add one sentence at the end of the body of the message and then click Save.

I get the redirect screen saying the phrase has been saved but when I go back and look, the original message is still at the top and my updated text is still in the box at the bottom. The PM that is sent does not include the new text.

What am I doing wrong?
  • ENF
    • Apr 2002

This does seem to be a bug, I can reproduce the problem on a test board.

I'll do a little further testing and report it in JIRA if it hasn't been reported yet.

Edit: I created the issue: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-14512

I thought maybe that this one was related, but in later testing, maybe not.

Edit2: Yup. I was right the first time... same issue related to this one as I originally thought.
    Last edited by ENF; Mon 12 Mar '12, 5:18am.
    To be updated...

Comment

• ddrum
      • Mar 2012

so what happens with this? does it get fixed? I believe the same thing is happening to me and how would I fix this?

Thanks,
      Debbie

Comment

• ENF
        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by ddrum
        so what happens with this? does it get fixed? I believe the same thing is happening to me and how would I fix this?

Thanks,
        Debbie
        It's fixed in vb4.1.12, which isn't too far away from being released. You can try the hot-fix provided in the ticket here or just wait for the new version with the fixes included.
        To be updated...

Comment

• ddrum
          • Mar 2012

I just bought this so i am pretty lost in "updating" things. Is there a guide that shows you how to fix these types of things and I see many people had problems with the updates - how hard / easy is it going to be for me to update things here?

Debbie

Comment

• ENF
            • Apr 2002

I just bought this so i am pretty lost in "updating" things. Is there a guide that shows you how to fix these types of things and I see many people had problems with the updates - how hard / easy is it going to be for me to update things here?

Debbie
            It's not necessary that you try to fix this yourself, you're better of just waiting for the new version to be released with the additional fixes.

If you installed vBulletin on your own, you can certainly do the upgrades. For custom modification and other trinkets, that's all dependent on your ability to read guides and learn the software.

If you're running a fairly basic install of vBulletin, you shouldn't run into these types of issues too often. If you're an advanced user and make many modifications, then you should understand how to fix problems as they arise.

For your original question, "Is there a guide?" For this particular situation, no, there isn't. For basic upgrades, yes, there is a guide. I always recommend new users to study and understand the system as a whole from the front-end user experience to the back-end on how everything works.

If you haven't already, stop over at http://www.vbulletin.org and take a look around at the vBulletin modification community. There are a lot of great resources and guides for getting the most out of vBulletin, outside of the basic software package.
            To be updated...

Comment

• ddrum
              • Mar 2012

When will the update be happening? This will put me off from using the system because I need the message to say something else. This is really unfair that you come up with updates but if you don't know how and what to do to update it, then what good is it? I need to be pointed in the right direction to update something by myself without having to wait for an update that I don't even know when it's coming! Is that too much to ask from a system that I just paid almost $300 to buy?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

Full instructions on upgrading vBulletin can be found here:

Articles - https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/cont...nstall-Upgrade

Videos - https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/cont...nstall-upgrade

There is also a readme file in the ZIP package you download with instructions. As for when - when it's ready...
                Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• satlazone
                  • Mar 2008

same problem for me
                  פורומים
                  IDANTECH Forums
                  Facebook Status

Comment

• ddrum
                    • Mar 2012

Apparently this is being fixed in the next version - not sure when that is coming out.

Comment

• ENF
                      • Apr 2002

Apparently this is being fixed in the next version - not sure when that is coming out.
                      There is a Beta version available for 4.1.12 --- the final version shouldn't be far behind. Within the next week, possibly.
                      To be updated...

Comment