• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snakes
    • Jul 2011
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Forum users receiving spam through e-mail

Hello!

I'm running the site www.guiadecasamientos.com, vB 4.1.8 and today some users reported e-mail spam, exactly like this e-mail:

Date: Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    Subject: HELLO
    To: [email protected]

Hola queridos,
    Mi nombre es Stephanie Bashar. Conseguí su contacto de hoy (www.guiadecasamientos.com) y estoy interesado en saber que usted y ser amable con usted. Le agradecería si conocer tan pronto como sea posible. Puede ponerse en contacto conmigo a través de mi correo electrónico privado se indican a continuación para que podamos llegar a conocernos mejor, y también para enviar fotos. ([email protected])
    Estaré a la espera de saber de usted.
    La suya, Stephanie

Hi dear,
    My name is Stephanie Bashar. I got your contact today from (www.guiadecasamientos.com) and i am interested in knowing you & being friendly with you. I would appreciate if we get acquainted as soon as possible. You can reach me through my private email stated below so that we can get to know each other better, and also to send you my photos. ([email protected])
    I will be waiting to hear from you.
    Yours, Stephanie
    As you can see on the e-mail, the sender or spammer states that is getting the user's contact/e-mail from my site, which is very bad.

Any clues of why is this happenning?

Thanks!
  • bstillman
    • Jun 2007
    • 3.8.x

Do you have it set to email through the site and not show email addresses publicly? If they are public (hover mouse over the email user link in their profile, do you see their email address show on the bottom of the browser?), then a screenscraper can gather all of your users' email addresses.

Comment

• Snakes
      • Jul 2011
      • 4.1.x

Thanks for the reply. Actually, that was my first thought. But I have it not to be displayed. What I did today was to disable the fact that members can e-mail other members. But still, I want to know if it was that or there is something else that I need to fix.

Comment

• Snakes
        • Jul 2011
        • 4.1.x

Any other suggestion?

Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...