X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myth-Scape
    • Nov 2011
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Topic Titles

My topic titles are at the bottom of the page instead of at the top how do I fix this?

Edit: this seems to only be for certain people but I don't see anything related to this in the settings could somebody direct me where to edit this?
    Last edited by Myth-Scape; Sat 28 Jan '12, 7:57am.
  • Myth-Scape
    • Nov 2011
    • 4.1.x

bump from page two still needing this...

Comment

• Syxguns
      • Aug 2011
      • 4.2.X

could you maybe drop a link to the site so we can see exactly what you are talking about, or drop a picture. I don't know if I can help, but I might be able to.

Comment

• Myth-Scape
        • Nov 2011
        • 4.1.x

Comment

• Myth-Scape
          • Nov 2011
          • 4.1.x

lol our resource limit on the freehost ( getting prems again soon ) is up for now ... so you won't be able to access site.

Comment

• Syxguns
            • Aug 2011
            • 4.2.X

Are you talking about what I see here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	3686562
            I'm not 100% sure about this particular problem, but you may be able to adjust this in the Style & Templates. However, if this is the case you would need someone else to help you out with it. The other thing that I've noticed in the past is that sometimes free templates have little errors in them like this. You might try a different style template and see if it works better.

BTW- Your site now says Resource Limit Hit. I was going to go back and see if I could see the designer of the template.

Comment

• Myth-Scape
              • Nov 2011
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Syxguns
              Are you talking about what I see here?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57716[/ATTACH]
              I'm not 100% sure about this particular problem, but you may be able to adjust this in the Style & Templates. However, if this is the case you would need someone else to help you out with it. The other thing that I've noticed in the past is that sometimes free templates have little errors in them like this. You might try a different style template and see if it works better.

BTW- Your site now says Resource Limit Hit. I was going to go back and see if I could see the designer of the template.
              yeah we use a free webhost. THat asn't the error though I was referring to. You know how you can go in your profile and tell it to make new posts be at the top and al that? Well by default how do you change that to be a certain way.

Comment

• Syxguns
                • Aug 2011
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Myth-Scape
                yeah we use a free webhost. THat asn't the error though I was referring to. You know how you can go in your profile and tell it to make new posts be at the top and al that? Well by default how do you change that to be a certain way.
                That is a pain that you have to deal with. There are two ways to do it, but like I said it is frustrating. The first way is to make them all stickies. They will typically alphabetize, so if you have: Update 1, Update 2, etc.. then they should be placed in order.

That was something that kind of upset me about Vb. Anytime a thread gets an update (some places a new post) it goes to the top of the list, so it's virtually impossible to manage. However, I did come up with an idea that might work.

What I do is make a forum within a forum. My forum is different from yours but I will try to explain by using topics.

Okay you have a primary forum called:

General Programming - (This could have many areas. C++, XHTML, VB Script, PHP, etc...)
                Sub forums when you select General Programming:
                C++
                XHTML
                VB
                Etc.

Now under C++ you might want to add a couple of areas
                Sub forum under C++
                General Programming questions
                C++ Tutorials

Creating forums withing forums will clean up a lot of what you are talking about. There is one problem with it though. You have to create certain perimeters for each forum. Sub forums you do not want new threads created only access to the forum under the sub forum. In a way you are creating a ladder for them to walk!!

Topic - Sub Forum (no threads) areas of the topic - then the forum for the area they selected. This is the only place you want users to post threads. The others you can set up for only Admin only to create new forums. They are the only ones with access to the AdminCP to create and or copy permissions.

I'll try to set something up on my forum for you to take a look at as a guest. That might give you a little clearer understanding.

Edit: There is a new option when you create forums!! The Default Sort Field. There is an option to have it show by time. You may select "Thread Start Time", and that may get the job done!!
                Last edited by Syxguns; Sun 29 Jan '12, 11:53am.

Comment

• Syxguns
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 4.2.X

Okay, I got it set up in a way. My forum is still under construction, but I wanted you to notice something.

Here is the direct link to my forums: http://www.place4musicians.com/music/forum.php

First go to General Discussion. You will notice that when you enter that forum there is a Post New Thread button at the top. Of course if you try to you will be asked to register. Go back to the main forum and scroll down till you see a forum called Free Music. After you select Free Music you will see two sub forums. The other thing to notice here is that there is not a button to create a new thread!! If you select one of the Sub Forums, Heavy Metal or Folk, there is also not a thread starter.

I set it up like this because only Admin can post threads, but all registered users can reply to threads that are created. That I think will give you a better visual of what I was talking about. If you need a little assistance in setting it up like this I will be glad to help you! I hope that helps answer your question!

Comment