• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Froberg
    • Jan 2006
    • 4.0.x

[Forum] RSS feed icons missing

Hiya,

I'm noticing that RSS feeds are gone from my forum.php page on multiple forums, across two sites.

I notice the issue is prevalent here, too.

Anyone got any fixes, theories or wild speculations?

I'm talking about the little RSS image on the forum.php page which allows you to subscribe to individual forums.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

On here, I notice that I don't see the RSS feed icon on any forum you can't have an RSS feed of anyway - like the mod forum or any other forum that isn't viewable to the public.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Froberg
      • Jan 2006
      • 4.0.x

So RSS feeds are only available when something is open to the entire internet? :/

Comment

• Maurd
        • Jun 2011
        • 4.1.x

As of 4.1.10 the RSS icon is only shown on forums where guests have permission to view threads. On previous versions, if the RSS icon was clicked for a forum where threads were not visible to guests, you would get a blank white page.

That's how RSS works. RSS is a public thing (it's all or nothing).
        - Maurice Workin' in the Jira mine, goin' down, down, down

Comment

• Froberg
          • Jan 2006
          • 4.0.x

Ah crud. On one of my forums the most popular forum is a members-only thing, as an incentive to join. Seems to have worked.. went from a fresh baby site to 1000+ users in less than a year.

Just seems weird that I can get RSS feeds on other sites that are completely closed to the public, not to mention RSS feeds tailored specifically to my own specifications. Yet on vBulletin, it's all or nothing.

Comment

• Dingo38
            • Oct 2008

Got to agree with you Froberg..Don't really understand why this had to be changed.

@Maurd
            It is, but if guests can't see the forum then they wouldn't know the link to the Rss feed without being registered.Now thats all been reversed you might aswell open all the forums up and have a free for all..

Comment

• Froberg
              • Jan 2006
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Dingo38
              Got to agree with you Froberg..Don't really understand why this had to be changed.

@Maurd

It is, but if guests can't see the forum then they wouldn't know the link to the Rss feed without being registered.Now thats all been reversed you might aswell open all the forums up and have a free for all..
              ^This.

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Maurd
                As of 4.1.10 the RSS icon is only shown on forums where guests have permission to view threads. On previous versions, if the RSS icon was clicked for a forum where threads were not visible to guests, you would get a blank white page.

But why show an RSS icon for a forum that is just going to give a blank white page? Why not just show it for the forums that will actually give you content?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• Froberg
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                  But why show an RSS icon for a forum that is just going to give a blank white page? Why not just show it for the forums that will actually give you content?
                  The point is, that other sites will allow privileged feeds for specific users.. why is vBulletin handling RSS feeds differently?

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Froberg
                    The point is, that other sites will allow privileged feeds for specific users.. why is vBulletin handling RSS feeds differently?
                    vBulletin currently will not show feeds of private forums to any users, even if they have permission. If you feel this is incorrect, then you should put an Improvement Request into Jira.

Comment

• Dingo38
                      • Oct 2008

But it's not an improvement request Lynne..The improvement has already been implemented...I doubt very much vb would back track on something they have added.Now that the feeds are open only to guests,the rss links become useless, as clicking on them! will take them to guest forums/content,were as previously clicking the links would show them the fact they need to register.

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

I thought the improvement request would be to allow private forums to be viewed by the users who have access to them (that is what Froberg was talking about).

I disagree that the RSS icon should be shown if all they are going to be shown is a blank page and that is how it is now and so I like the way it is now.

Comment

• Froberg
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 4.0.x

Look, if you're running an active site, RSS feeding your admin forum makes sense. As it's implemented, you cannot. Tons of other sites have this available, so it's very much doable within the RSS function.. I just don't understand why this has been changed.

Hell, even a feed for the entire site, only displaying your allowed info, should be possible.. it's just a matter of personalizing the rss feeds for the user who is requesting it, and also having a public one when signed in as a guest.

Comment

• Lynne
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Oct 2004

You are right, Froberg. It should be possible. But, an Improvement Request needs to be made to do so.

Comment

• Dingo38
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Lynne
                              I thought the improvement request would be to allow private forums to be viewed by the users who have access to them (that is what Froberg was talking about).

I disagree that the RSS icon should be shown if all they are going to be shown is a blank page and that is how it is now and so I like the way it is now.
                              No,the question? Is why vb have changed how rss feeds are viewed.If you set usergroup permissions for a forum for registered users,you can't have an rss feed for that forum.Because the only way you can have a rss feed now,is by opening the forums to guests.

Again,if the specific forum is only for registered members,(as it used to be)..Then guests would never click on it becuase they don't have permission for that forum.Your talking just viewing a rss feed.If you want to rss feed a registered members forum,then how do you do that now?

@Froberg
                              Hell, even a feed for the entire site, only displaying your allowed info, should be possible..
                              There was once upon a time,now it seems they discovered that when guests click on a rss feed that they don't have permission to view due to usergroup/forum permissions they were shown a blank screen..But how guests were even seeing that link when they are permission based forums I don't understand.
                              Last edited by Dingo38; Sat 14 Apr '12, 2:10pm.

Comment