• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dragosmero
    • Dec 2011
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Logged in across client sessions

Hi there,
    is there an options (can't find one) so I can set the cookies NOT to expire when the user closes his browser (at the session end)?
    What I want to achieve is: keep them logged in when they came back to the site.
    I also use facebook app integration but it's not working as expected (it does not login users that are already logged with facebook; they need to click a 'connect' button).
    The workaround will be to set cookies not to expire at the end of the session .. but I could not find such a basic option between the tons that are there :-/
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

They need to select the "Remember Me" box when they log in. It is for this very purpose.

If a user logs in with Facebook and doesn't exist in the database, a record should be created for them. If they already exist, they would need to connect the two accounts. This is how the system is designed. With the remember me box checked on login, the two should remain connected across sessions.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dragosmero
      • Dec 2011
      • 4.1.x

Thanks for the reply.
      But there's a catch, if you already have a 'connected' acount and you are logged in with Facebook, when you came on the forum you can click the FB 'connect' button and you are logged in .. without checking a checkbox or something else (like 'remember me'). I just wanted to know if it's possible to auto-login into the forum if a FB connection already exists (and already logged in with Facebook). Because the forum cookie expire at the end of the session .. the returning user (that is already logged in with Facebook) need to do one of: click the FB connect button or login by entering his user/pass.
      See?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

The very first time someone clicks that Facebook Connect link, an account is made for them in vBulletin. Depending on your settings, it will redirect them to the registration screen or create the account behind the scenes. However the account is always created. If on the second visit they use the login form with their Facebook information they will still be connected and they can use the remember me button.

If they always login via the facebook connect button, they will always have to login with each session. Just how the system works. The remember me box just changes the expiration on the cookie to 1 year instead of 15 minutes (or whatever your cookie timeout is). Without the cookies, vBulletin doesn't have any way to validate the user automatically and keep them logged in.

To do otherwise would require custom coding. Simply extending the cookie timeout to long periods of time will cause other side effects in the system that might lead to database errors.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment