Facebook connect : would a SSLcertificate hide my site from search engines ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haytten
    • Mar 2010
    • 4.2.x

[Forum] Facebook connect : would a SSLcertificate hide my site from search engines ?

I have tried to enabled Facebook Connect on the forum for a while but with no success so far. I read in other threads on this forum that we should purchase and install an SSL certificate. My fear is that securing the website might unlist it from search engines, since the point of a secure server is that third parties cannot see what is happening on the site. Wouldn't that be the case ?

Do we have to secure the whole domain or only the forum directory, or a special subdomain for Facebook ? In the Facebook Options on the forum, it says that it is the server's PHP installation that needs to have SSL installed. I have secured domains and subdomains before but I have never heard of securing just the PHP installation. How can it be done in WHM or Cpanel ? Is that something that needs to be enabled through phpMyAdmin ? I have really no idea. Please help.
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

You don't need SSL for FB Connect, only for the Facebook App that you can install on your forum. And SSL won't hide content from search engines.

SSL is not about hiding content, it's about creating a secure connection to your site. Search for anything related to vBulletin and you'll see thousands of results from this site which runs on SSL...
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Haytten
      • Mar 2010
      • 4.2.x

Thanks for the reply. What I don't understand is that the Facebook Connect doesn't work. I run two different forums and on both I get this error message when I try to connect : Unable to contact the facebook server; if this condition persists, contact the admin.

What could be the cause ?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

Is JSON installed on your server (you can check this via AdminCP > Maintenance > View PHP Info). Also, run the 'TLS/SSL' check from within AdminCP > Maintenance > Diagnostics - do these come back OK?
        Vote for:

Comment

• Haytten
          • Mar 2010
          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
          Is JSON installed on your server (you can check this via AdminCP > Maintenance > View PHP Info). Also, run the 'TLS/SSL' check from within AdminCP > Maintenance > Diagnostics - do these come back OK?
          No, apparently it's not installed.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

You'll need to get that installed by your host.
            Vote for:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...