X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drahnier
    • Aug 2012
    • 4.2.X

vB4 and PHP 5.5 -- Will It Happen?

I know that vB 4.2.2 doesn't officially support PHP 5.5. I know that there is a version of vB5 Connect currently available that does.

Does anyone have any insight as to when/if we might be seeing a vB4 release that has PHP 5.5 support? My members don't like vB5 and I don't want to have to upgrade again. Searching around, it appears that I'm not the only one running into this issue. While the site seems to mostly work on PHP5.5 , there's certainly a few random things that are buggy.

I feel like people running into vB issues with this version of PHP are going to start becoming very common with the newest LTS Ubuntu release (which doesn't have a PHP version below 5.5 available, as far as I can tell). I'm not getting my hopes up that it'd be coming very soon, considering 4.2.2 just added support for 5.4, but I also saw in the Tracker that this seems to be something in the roadmap for the next release.

Am I just wasting my time with this? Should I just roll my server back to an old Ubuntu release, and run an old version of PHP with an old version of Apache? I'd really prefer not to; these newer versions of PHP have a lot of speed and memory usage improvements.

If seeing a future vB4 release with support is not something that's probably going to happen, can someone point me towards threads on what needs to get done to get it usable/functional enough for a production environment? Searching didn't seem to turn up much. I have disabled the depreciated errors already through vB's config.php file.
  • Set3sh
    • Jan 2013
    • 5.2.x

As far as I can see vb4 is going to be like WindowsXP. Vb4 is not yet fully compatible with php 5.4. Php 5.5 is a mirage. And btw you can download any php version pack and compile it. Why change the os to get access to older repositories?! All in all I think vb6 is more likely to get born than vb4 have php 5.5 compatibility. ( What with vb do when php releases 5.6 stable?! )

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Set3sh
      And btw you can download any php version pack and compile it.
      Unfortunately cannot do that on a shared server.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

vB4.2.2 is fully compatible with php 5.4.
        Most stuff will work in php 5.5 as well but it's not been fully tested under that environment.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...