X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cadellin
    • Oct 2009
    • 4.1.x

[CMS] Article Preview Image

Is there anyway I can manually set the preview image used for article? My articles tend to contain very large images which aren't suitable for CSS scaling on the frontpage.

In the past I've used custom BBcode to hide a thumbnail version at the top of the document but this doesn't work with an RSS feed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

You cannot manually select the preview image at this time. You may set it to use the actual thumbnail image if you have thumbnails turned on for your site. AdminCP > Settings > Options > content management > Use Thumbnails in Preview

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Cadellin
      • Oct 2009
      • 4.1.x

Cheers Lynne.

Any way to have a thumbnail which isn't displayed inline in the article? Or is it possible to have the attachment prioritised as the source of the thumbnail over embedded images/videos?

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Unfortunately, right now there is no way to make a certain image be the preview image.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• Cadellin
          • Oct 2009
          • 4.1.x

Thanks for the confirmation Lynne. Added to Jira suggestions here as I feel this is a vital feature for creating attractive articles to visitors.

Comment

• reefland
            • Sep 2000

You can select the image it is the only one above the prbreak tag. Alternatively, you could create static HTML pages which allow explicit selection of the preview image.
            sigpic
            Nation of Blue - Kentucky Wildcats Sports

Some CMS Goodness: Add Avatar to Article

Comment

• Cadellin
              • Oct 2009
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by reefland
              You can select the image it is the only one above the prbreak tag. Alternatively, you could create static HTML pages which allow explicit selection of the preview image.
              Fair point but that only works if you want the image in the article at all - for example if you had an review series you may want a thumbnail which represents that type of article in the preview but you don't want that logo in the article itself.

Thanks for the suggestion reefland re:static HTML - must admit I hadn't tried using static pages for articles in that way. I'll definitely give it a try.

Comment

• mojiba
                • Nov 2009
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Lynne
                You cannot manually select the preview image at this time. You may set it to use the actual thumbnail image if you have thumbnails turned on for your site. AdminCP > Settings > Options > content management > Use Thumbnails in Preview
                Hi Lynne, there's no "Use Thumbails in Preview" here in AdminCP > Settings > Options > content management. I'm using vBulletin 4.0.8. Is there another way to make thumbnails appear in CMS? Right now the images in preview are the fullsized ones resized by css =(

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

Thumbnails are not an option for the version you are running. That option was added at a later version.

Comment