X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AthenaOfDelphi
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Unmoderated Post Visibility

Can someone who knows for certain what should happen provide some guidance with regards to unmoderated post visibility please?

The site is as follows:-

vBulletin Version 4.2.2 PL 1, MySQL 5.5.34, PHP 5.4.26.

To try and minimise spam, I'm using Spam-bot-Stopper and Spam-O-Matic. I'm not using the noobie manager of Spam-O-Matic as I already had a system. Other plug-in's are Users Cleanup, MCG Chatbox Evo (I think it's called), In-line Thread Prefix changer.

The registration process we use is I suspect fairly standard:-

User signs up -> Authenticates their email -> Registered Users (Moderated) -> User posts in designated thread -> Staff (Administrator or Super Moderator) approve post -> System promotes them to unmoderated user group

The issue I have is that unmoderated posts do not show up in the 'New Posts' section and so we are missing people who are potentially being cleaned up by the system. Threads posted by said users do (as unmoderated), but posts in an existing thread do not. Before any one suggests having new users post a thread, that makes for a much messier and confusing New Members forum... we tried it once and it just wasn't working out.

I've tried all the advice I've found thus far, namely new style, turn off plug-ins, rebuild counters and search index, make sure forum is set to be indexed for searches. All to no avail.

Some people report that unmoderated posts are showing up in the 'New Posts' section, others say they don't.

My personal feeling is they should, they have done before I'm sure because this is what we relied on to authorise new sign ups, but since 4.2.2 this seems to have stopped... either that or I'm losing the plot and it's never worked.

They do show up in the activity stream, but by it's very nature it's all too easy to lose things in amongst the noise.

Please could someone explain... should unmoderated posts show up in the 'New Posts' section for those who can moderated them (i.e. Administrators, Moderators and Super Moderators)? If the answer is yes, how can I go about diagnosing the problem that is currently preventing them from doing so because I've tried pretty much everything I can think of.

Many thanks in advance