• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aaronhaul
    • Mar 2014
    • 4.2.X

Remove vBulletin Message Board Name and Logo from Wappalyzer

Hello Guys,

I want to remove or stop browser plugins like Wappalyzer or other similar browser plugins for Mozilla, Opera, Chrome, Safari; to automatically detect the script used for the vBulletin Message Board site. With browser plugins like Wappalyzer, users, individuals and intruders can easily know how to detect what type of Website Script used without even having access or going through the source files.

See attached photo - areas marked with red box:

Does anyone know how to remove or stop this from displaying in the right hand corner of URL Address bar or any similar positions for each type of browser. I know this has to do with, maybe editing the vBulletin source file, but I do not know where exactly.

Please advise.
    Attached Files
  • Jennifer2010
    • Mar 2011

There's a meta "generator" tag in the headinclude template which you could remove however it wouldn't do much good if you have the vBulletin branding in your footer:

Warning:
    Please note that you are not permitted to remove the vBulletin branding / copyright unless you have purchased the branding-free option. The costs are $170 on a per license basis and is a one time fee.
    Removing the branding without permission will result in having your license being revoked.
    Source: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/branding

If you have the branding free option and remove the generator tag, it still won't matter very much because there's a lot of other references to vbulletin. You'd need to rename all the CSS/JS folders which cite vBulletin, the doc header cites vbulletin, the editor cites vbulletin. Lots of vb/vbulletin names.

Technically you could probably remove vBulletin from the generator tag and replace it with "WordPress" to trick the plugin(s) to make them think it's a WordPress site.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Nothing you can really do about this. The best situation is to ensure your site and any plugins are up to date and secure.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• aaronhaul
        • Mar 2014
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Jennifer2010
        There's a meta "generator" tag in the headinclude template which you could remove however it wouldn't do much good if you have the vBulletin branding in your footer:

Source: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/branding

If you have the branding free option and remove the generator tag, it still won't matter very much because there's a lot of other references to vbulletin. You'd need to rename all the CSS/JS folders which cite vBulletin, the doc header cites vbulletin, the editor cites vbulletin. Lots of vb/vbulletin names.

Technically you could probably remove vBulletin from the generator tag and replace it with "WordPress" to trick the plugin(s) to make them think it's a WordPress site.
        Yes Jennifer, I have paid for the branding free and have removed the vBulletin from the footer. Only what I require is to remove the name from access to such a plugin. If the vBulletin can be removed from the meta tag generator and this remove the name from the plugin able to display it to others, I'll be fine with that.

I'll try this out. Thanks for your response.

Comment

• worried
          • Dec 2008
          • 4.2.X

I wouldn't worry about Wappalyzer. Hackers wouldn't bother with it either.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...