Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrianHoltz
    • Nov 2011

[Forum] French posts truncated at first accented character

When you choose French from the language quick chooser and post a message with special characters (like the accented e in touche), the post gets truncated right before the first such character.

Such characters work when English or German are chosen. In our forum they are set as UTF-8, while our French language is set as ISO-8859-1. (I'm worried that changing French to UTF-8 would cause previously-entered content to look garbled, but maybe it would actually fix more content than it breaks?)

I'm on 4.1.8, but this problem was reported before I upgraded from 4.1.5. Strangely, the problem doesn't happen in my Mac or Linux dev environments, only in beta and production environments (where I don't have privilege to instrument the code).

In all cases I notice that in the newreply POST, ajaxqrfailed=1 and firebug flashes an "ajax" POST but then removes it from the console. Not sure if that's related.

My dev environments are based on a fairly recent snapshot of our production DB, so I doubt it's an issue with plugins or even admincp settings. I almost suspect a problem with apache or PHP config, but not sure what the difference would be.

In the newreply POST, I sometimes see the accented e sent as %u00E9 and sometimes as %E9, but this doesn't seem to correlate with success and failure -- which instead correlates with which environment I'm using.

The problem doesn't seem to happen to all users -- unless our French users have gotten used to using the English UI (i.e. language quick chooser setting). You can see at http://community.kabam.com/forums/fo...hp?88-Francais that we get plenty of French content with special characters.

I'm hesitant to throw the big switch that changes the French mode from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8, especially because in my pre-prod environments the problem doesn't happen.

Any clues about why this can work in one environment and consistently fail in another?
  • jpsandiego
    • Mar 2013
    • 4.2.X

I am encountering a similar issue. I suspect the issue is that the French translations from vBulletin are using ISO-8859-1 while the German translations I'm also wanting to use are UTF-8. Not sure it's supported to have mixed codes...

Comment