What about IP?

Someone can create multiple accounts as long he doesn't
    use the same name and or email address.

Is there a way to fix that?

Thank you.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

We don't restrict by IP address because IP addresses are not usually good indicators of it being the same person. Imagine a husband and wife wanting to register on your forum from the same home network. For all intents and purposes, they would have the same IP address but are different people.

However, you may be able to find such an addon at www.vbulletin.org.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• CaptCom
      • May 2011
      • 4.1.x

I hope this answer ^^ is a joke and that someone will answer correctly at my question.

Thank you.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by CaptCom
        I hope this answer ^^ is a joke and that someone will answer correctly at my question.

Thank you.
        Sorry... Multiple Registration is not restricted by IP address. It is restricted by email address and cookies.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• CaptCom
          • May 2011
          • 4.1.x

Ok I'm sorry to insist but this point of view is simply incredible and MUST be changed.

As a owner of a website and a Client, I think it is my choice to decide who have access to my site. If YOU don't want that on YOUR site it is your choice, but don't prevent others to have the choice!!!

With your answer, you open the door to multiple registrations some site need to avoid, site having, for example, limitations on downloads, based on IP.

And the most important, and this is where your answer hurts, when you banned someone, 2 minutes after he can register again with a different name and email but with the SAME IP!!!

This is unacceptable for a "professional" paying cms.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

As Wayne has already pointed out, there is no prevention for blocking/locking user registration to a single ip address. It is also not feasible due to the way the internet works as a whole right now. Many users who use the internet use shared or dynamic ip addresses. Most anyone accessing the internet is using a shared ip, what you’re suggesting would cause major issues in the software if enabled for the general majority of our customers and to this day has not been requested before. If you’d like to make a feature request for it to be added to the software you can do so here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com

If you want the functionality you’re talking about today, you’re going to have to get a custom coded solution. The sites that need to avoid it, can custom code their own solutions, pay someone, or work within the limitations of the system.

On the subject of ip banning, you can ban an ip, it’s a separate function of banning users because it is problematic and deemed to only be an admin action. If you want to ban an IP from completely accessing your website: AdminCP > Settings > Options > User Banning Options > IP Banning Options.

Comment

• nakedanvil
              • Mar 2010

Well, that would be fine if IP addresses were like fingerprints. Many cable systems create a neighborhood LAN and you might get a different IP every time your modem is powered up. Even worse in colleges and businesses. You have heard of "dynamic IP addressing", right?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

And the most important, and this is where your answer hurts, when you banned someone, 2 minutes after he can register again with a different name and email but with the SAME IP!!!
                Nothing to stop them from signing up with a different IP either. In the United States alone there are over 10,000 anonymous proxy servers where anyone can get a fresh IP address for any purpose. Anyone with enough malicious intent to continually sign up about on your site to cause problems probably knows this.

However banned IP addresses cannot re-register as Zachery said. You didn't ask about banning though, you asked about multiple registrations which is completely different.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• nakedanvil
                  • Mar 2010

That's just plain false. Besides, banning is a totally different subject from multiple registrations that Wayne was answering.
                  Last edited by nakedanvil; Mon 19 Dec '11, 2:38pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...