X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orangeade
    • Aug 2011
    • 4.2.X

"vB4 is horrible for SEO"

I'm going to get an SEO guy to look into improving the ranking my vB4 CMS website. One highly rated guy has got back to me and has told me that "vB4 is horrible for SEO", and that I should consider using Wordpress for the CMS + vB3.x for the forum.

Obviously the thought of changing to this setup is terrifying (especially the idea of moving to a near-obselete version of vB, which sounds like insanity).

That said, the guy runs a website with an Alexa ranking of <50,000. My website is currently ranked at around 350,000. Surely he must know what he's taking about if he can achieve that.

Thoughts?
    My vBulletin forum. Check it out!
    Apps: iPhone/iPad, Android
  • donald1234
    • Oct 2011
    • 4.1.x

Ask your "guru" just what exactly is the difference between vb 3 URL's and vb4 ones. Not much I would say. SEO friendly URL's just mean that there are keywords in the URL and that only plays a small part in your overall SEO efforts. The most important part of SEO is backlinks and decent original content and is just as relevant for Vbulletin, wordpress or any other web software.

Having said that it is well documented that vb4 publishes articles twice if the forum and CMS is enabled risking duplicate content penalty so there may be some sense to the wordpress CMS story.

Comment

• webmastersun
      • Oct 2013
      • 4.2.X

I don't think so, my forum is base on forum http://www.webmastersun.com and it's full control with On-Page SEO, I realized that Vb is very easy to custom for SEO and better than other forum platforms as xenforo, phpbb, etc.
      According to me, Vb4 is still best for SEO, of course, it depends on what you want to do/custom on your forums.
      Best Internet Marketing Forum & Webmaster Forum for webmasters and Internet Marketers discussing and trading!

Comment

• orangeade
        • Aug 2011
        • 4.2.X

Thanks for your contributions. Anyone else got any views?

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

Yes...people who charge money for 'improving SEO' always seem to claim that whatever software you are using is 'rubbish for SEO'. I'm sure it has nothing whatsoever to do with them trying to make money out of their 'advice'.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Dave B
            Dave B commented
            Editing a comment
            And what exactly do the people who charge money from selling poorly wrote software say? Nevermind, you just told us.
        • orangeade
          • Aug 2011
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by webmastersun
          I don't think so, my forum is base on forum http://www.webmastersun.com and it's full control with On-Page SEO, I realized that Vb is very easy to custom for SEO and better than other forum platforms as xenforo, phpbb, etc.
          According to me, Vb4 is still best for SEO, of course, it depends on what you want to do/custom on your forums.

How did you achieve full control with On-Page SEO?

Comment

• orangeade
            • Aug 2011
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
            Yes...people who charge money for 'improving SEO' always seem to claim that whatever software you are using is 'rubbish for SEO'. I'm sure it has nothing whatsoever to do with them trying to make money out of their 'advice'.
            Are you able to give me an honest appraisal of the SEO capabilities and limitations of vB4 CMS?

Comment

• SaN-DeeP
              • Dec 2003
              • 1.1.x

Technically SEO is not of any importance these days... (read google docs about same).
              As people already mentioned above, look in other areas..

VB4 is best.. but yes it requires lot of work to customize (which is not easy for new users, even used-to users find it difficult).

I will just not agree with OP topic title..

TechArena - TechArena Community - Technology News - Tools Download - Tech Video - Gamer Guide - Hardware Review

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...