Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Okuma Steve
    • May 2010

[Forum] Random Users Revert To "Awaiting Email Confirmation"

I have this strange problem that seems to happen a couple times a month.

Members will randomly have their usergroup change to "Awaiting Email Confirmation," any ideas as to what could cause this? Has anyone else ever had this issue?

It's happened to people with 5 posts and 1,000 posts, and new and old members. I have 9,000 members and it only seems to happen to 2 or 3 a month.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

If they changed their email and you require them to verify the email address, then they will be moved back into that group until they get the activation email and activate it.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• thenamesgould
      • Apr 2011
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Lynne
      If they changed their email and you require them to verify the email address, then they will be moved back into that group until they get the activation email and activate it.
      Hi there,

I've just found out that this happens on my forum. I don't have email verification in place for new users, so I don't really want it to happen when they change their email address. How do I alter that setting? Cheers.

Comment

• Hartmut
        • Nov 2007
        • 4.2.x

Maybe they wanted to change their email address but didn't proceed?
        No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• thenamesgould
          • Apr 2011
          • 4.1.x

In my case they did want to change the email, but they were moved into the Awaiting Confrimation group, meaning they couldn't post or make threads, etc. I'm not sure if they got the email asking to confirm or not, but they PMed me to ask for me to restore their access.

I'd rather they were just able to change their email, without having to confirm, if that's possible ...

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

What do you have set in AdminCP > Settings > Options > User Registration Options > Verify Email address in Registration?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• thenamesgould
              • Apr 2011
              • 4.1.x

It's set to No.

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

Have you tried disabling all your plugins for a few days and seeing if that fixes the issue? Do you have any promotions set up?

Comment

• Ion Saliu
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 4.2.X

Prune them, axiomatic colleague of mine! I just did prior to posting my reply. The vast majority of those “members awaiting email confirmation” are spammers!

There is a failed business on the Internet to create user profiles in many, many forums. The scammers “think” that the search engines would improve a website’s ranking because there are lots of backlinks pointing to the website. NOT! Au contraire, Google started to severely punish the websites who resort to such SEO tactics!

I just posted a related message to a webmaster facing a deluge of spammers:

AdminCP, Users, Prune / Move Users, select groupmembers awaiting email confirmation”, then set did not login in xx days.

I tried first did not login in 15 days, then 10 day.
                  Legitimate members, honest people, do not wait 10 days to confirm their email addresses! Usually, they verify the email immediately; I always do so.

Ion Saliu
                  Board Maintenance: Users Pruned for Inactivity

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...