X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob_R
    • Jun 2009
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] Too many connections????

Got this in an email. What exactly is this? Database error in vBulletin : mysql_connect(): User xxxx_xxxx already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections /home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx.com/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 317 Is there anything I'm supposed to do or check. It's causing no problems.

• Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

This is a server error, you should contact your host and let them know.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

This is one of those half server, have your own issues.

On many webhosts the number of connections (how many times a user can be connected at once) is set to a low limit, 5-25. The way you get to such a point that your connections are used is normally that the site is very busy. You could have 1000 people online (over 15 min) but not reach that limit forever if it was 25, because the queries are executing quickly, and nothing is taking a while.

Most often if you only got one or two, or maybe a handful (less than 50 emails/notifications about it) something intensive was running on the server, if it always happens around the same time, its likely a backup. Full database backups take time to execute, and will slow down the ability for queries to execute quickly, and you'll start getting errors like this.

You can ask your webhost what your users connection limit is, and ask for it to be increased. If its always at the specific time, its likely nothing to worry about.

Comment

• The_Hawk
        • Aug 2008

I'm having this issue lately too and you're right it tends to happen most likely at backup time (middle of the night for the majority of users so not a huge issue).

At other times it seems to be a spam issue with a the same IP showing up across the errors (a different one at each incident usually).

So I have a few questions:

* What sort of number is idea to set max_user_connections to on a dedicated server? Is 10, 20 30,50, 100? 1,000?
        * Is any number likely to help during backup times?

* Assuming the SPAM problem or some sort of brute force attack, is there anyway to automatically block an IP that's making too many requests in a given period?

Comment

• donald1234
          • Oct 2011
          • 4.1.x

1. Depends what your setting is at eg if at 25 try 50
          2. Backing up has nothing to do with no. of database connections but can put a load on the processor, backing up at quiet times is a good idea.
          3. Only way to block IP's of visiting spam bots is to block their IP or IP range at the server (.htaccess)

Comment

• The_Hawk
            • Aug 2008

I've been slowly increasing that number over the years without running into any problems (that I've noticed), just wondering how many is too many.

Currently backups happen at 1am local time, so yes a quiet time for the majority of users.

And yes I've been manually blocking IP's that seem pop up from time to time in what looks like brute force hack attempts or similar. I was just wondering if there is anyway to automate this quickly and easily.

Comment

• donald1234
              • Oct 2011
              • 4.1.x

No, anti spam plugins, captcha, Q&A etc will help stop spammers from registering but they won't stop them from visiting, without the risk of blocking genuine visitors, blocking their IP is the most effective way of blocking unwelcome visitors.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...