X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lifeinitaly
    • Apr 2007
    • 3.6.x

[Blog] How to reduce Blog Spam

Every day I have 10s or spam posting on the Blog - The situation is so bad that if I do not find a solution I will remove the blog entirely -
    I have Glowhost that works well as anti spam on the forum but I cannot find any setting to reduce forum spam -
    Also the forum has an option to remove a post as spam and ban the spammer in one cation - I cannot find the same option on the blog
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Your options in no particular order ----

Don't let guests post in your blog. Make them register and filter registrations with Spam-O-Matic. If they register and spam, then ban them.

Turn on Akismet or Typepad Anti-Spam under Settings -> Options -> Spam Management.

Moderate Guests and New Registrations to prevent spam from appearing. You'll have to approve these for them to appear.

Turn on Human Verification for Blog Comments from guests. May require an addon, haven't investigated.

Teach your blog authors how to moderate their own blogs.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ZoDesigns.com
      • Nov 2005
      • 3.5.x

I had to remove the blog... tons of spam and I have tried all the automated options with no luck. Do I really want to spend time deleted moderated spam? No.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

You could also consider only allowing users in good standing for X time and posts to be allowed to post to the blogs via usergroup promotions and permissions.

Comment

• ZoDesigns.com
          • Nov 2005
          • 3.5.x

This may be a good TEMPORARY solution but we really need more spam protection with blogs.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

How is that only a temporary solution? No matter how much protection we add, there will always be ways around it. Having you manually combat it is always going to be the best solution. We've recomend making sure new users are more closely watched and have less permissions than exsisting users for years.

Comment

• ZoDesigns.com
              • Nov 2005
              • 3.5.x

Well, by utilizing the spam protection offered now, I don't have a problem with spam within the forum. Why are blogs different?

Comment

• HMBeaty
                • Mar 2005

See my signature (Apparently, bots can't see what to type )
                "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
                "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"
                "When doors close, tear down the walls. Never give up!"

Comment

• Videx
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by HMBeaty
                  See my signature (Apparently, bots can't see what to type )
                  I voted for it, but these days the problem isn't bots. These are real people that somehow feel they can make money by registering at forums.

I too had this problem recently and the only way to prevent it is to make Registered Users a restricted group, and promote them to Members when they get some posts. At least if they post we can use the "delete posts as spam" option which isn't present anywhere but on a post (it should also be in profiles and blogs).

PS Watch out for Akismet. Enabling it will throw some posts into Moderation automatically. This wouldn't be a bad thing except vb still has no notifications of posts needing moderation.

Comment

• donald1234
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 4.1.x

there is a mod on vb.org where you can set a minimum number of posts before members can post a link and since these spammers only want to post links, this is quite effective.

Comment

• Videx
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by donald1234
                      there is a mod on vb.org where you can set a minimum number of posts before members can post a link and since these spammers only want to post links, this is quite effective.
                      Incorrect. None of our spammers post links. Though their latest tactic is to put a link to their ICQ profile in their profile. And I think that mod you mention doesn't stop this.

Comment

• Captain_Gossip
                        • Nov 2005
                        • 3.5.x

If no solution is found, I will also remove our blog. Especially the blogs have tons of spam. I expect vbulletin to solve this. vb.org has solutions for this, but I am not allowed to use them since I will have no support if I do so, correct?

Comment

• Videx
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Captain_Gossip
                          If no solution is found, I will also remove our blog. Especially the blogs have tons of spam. I expect vbulletin to solve this. vb.org has solutions for this, but I am not allowed to use them since I will have no support if I do so, correct?
                          Incorrect on a few points. First, I already gave you a solution that doesn't involve modifications, so there's nothing for vb to solve. Next, I'm unaware of any mod that will solve this problem. Lastly, no you don't lose all support if you install mods, but the first thing you may be asked to do if there's a problem is to disable all your mods.

Comment

• donald1234
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Videx
                            Incorrect. None of our spammers post links. Though their latest tactic is to put a link to their ICQ profile in their profile. And I think that mod you mention doesn't stop this.
                            Links in user profiles can't really be counted as spam as they are not on public display like posts in the forums. There is however a potential problem as the spiders can search profiles (as guests) and if google finds a link to a dodgy (penalised) website, your site can be penalised too. I have enquired to find out if there is a way round this that's better than searching through everyones profile and there is no easy solution. Not sure if you can ban guests (and spiders) from searching profiles?
                            Last edited by donald1234; Sat 21 Jan '12, 4:17am.

Comment

• Captain_Gossip
                              • Nov 2005
                              • 3.5.x

Videx,

I am not sure how to do this: " the only way to prevent it is to make Registered Users a restricted group, and promote them to Members when they get some posts. At least if they post we can use the "delete posts as spam" option which isn't present anywhere but on a post (it should also be in profiles and blogs)."

Can you tell me step by step? That would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...