Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • camoit
    • Mar 2011
    • 4.1.x

I'm starting to think it's tied to this problem. As all posts are affected but the firs one you have pointed out. That is the one that is not affected.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

Seems like this is still an issue- Looking at the Facebook Debugger for an affected thread- https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug

It appears to be a Redirect Path issue- check any htaccess files or server redirects you may have.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

I managed to get this working for someone with the same issue. He had the Facebook Platform disabled (but the LIke button enabled) so I edited the SHOWTHREAD template and directly below the canonical URL line I added this:

Code:
        	        <meta property="og:url" content="{vb:raw vboptions.bburl}/{vb:raw thread_url}" />
        This forces Facebook to link to the correct URL.

Also remember when testing- you can't reshare the same page because facebook caches shares for a few days and if the page was shared with the wrong URL it will still have the wrong URL even if the issue is fixed.

Always share a fresh URL when testing.

If you want to force Facebook to use a specific thumbnail image (like a site logo) add this line below the above:

Code:
        	        <meta property="og:image" content="http://www.yoursite.com/path/to/image.jpg" />

Comment

• Dennis B
          • May 2002
          • 4.1.x

Thanks Joe. I'm having the same issue, but the workaround above fixed it.
          Dennis

Comment

• Dennis B
            • May 2002
            • 4.1.x

Is there a Jira for this? Because while the workaround seems to 'make the link work', the 'liked' URLs are still being stored by Facebook with the double 'showthread.php/'.
            Dennis

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

I've seen this happen before if the Facebook Platform is disabled. The problem is with Facebook, not vBulletin, but you can force Facebook to link to the correct page by putting the opebn graph URL meta tag on your SHOWTHREAD template.

Put:

Code:
              <meta property="og:url" content="http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/{vb:raw thread_url}" />

Put that line directly under/after the code:
              Code:
              </title>
              That will force Facebook to share the correct URL.

As for the Facebook button not showing in IE that is a known bug with VB4 and IE.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...