Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ximcix
    • May 2004

[Forum] Use account deleted but posts still bears user's name

A member of my forum "John VB" wants his account & any traces of his name removed.
    Member states he's up for a promotion at work & some of his posts on the public forum isn't necessarily in accordance with the views of the company he works for.

I deleted the member's account but his posts still appear with his name as:
    John VB

How can I remove the "John VB" if the profile no longer exists?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

It warns you before deleting an account you should prune the users posts. If you give me a bit I can write a query that should work. I just need to test it first.

Comment

• ximcix
      • May 2004

Thanks Zachery.

The member didn't mind if his posts remained, just didn't want his name associated with them anymore

Comment

• IggyP
        • Mar 2012

i used to have one i cant find atm but basically if someone wants to change name, i think its pretty common query, i found with google before...
        then there was a second query to change name in quotes or something...dang whered i put that :/

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Sorry, did you want to delete the posts, or change his name on the posts?

Comment

• ximcix
            • May 2004

He just wants his name removed from all posts he made on the forum.

I thought deleting his account would just leave "Guest" where his user name used to appear in his posts, but instead his name still appears, but as plain text with "guest" as his user title.

If this can't be done, he would like to have all posts deleted (I'm not sure if this can be done after his account has already been deleted).
            Thanks for your help.
            Last edited by ximcix; Wed 19 Feb '14, 7:11pm. Reason: formatting

Comment

• ximcix
              • May 2004

If it helps, when I run a search for a thread that the member created, it shows up in the results as:

Chants: The Very Best

Started by UserName, 10-05-2010 05:06 PM

• Replies: 29
              • Views: 3,344
              Last Post: 05-08-2011 01:50 AM by UserName Forum:
              Culture Music

The name appears as a link along with the user's ID number
              Whenever I click USERNAME, the vB Message "Invalid User specified" is returned

Comment

• janir
                • Aug 2007
                • 3.6.x

I also have a similar problem, where I need to delete users but leave the old posts as Guest ownership but NOT show the original poster's username. It USED to be like that in VB3.x

Comment

• kh99
                  • Aug 2009

You could do this query:
                  Code:
                  UPDATE post SET username='New Name' WHERE username = 'Old Name'

where 'Old Name' is the deleted user name, and 'New Name' can be whatever you want it to say. But you should have a current database backup before trying anything like this. It can't be undone and it only takes a small mistake to cause big problems.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...