X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1yesfan
    • Feb 2002
    • 3.6.x

How do I make my site smaller????

I have a site that is 13 years old. It has 71k threads, almost 2.4 million posts, 15k members. Site is in its SUNSET YEARS if you will, the band is not what it was in following, and now with FB and all that crap. www.yesfans.com has slowed down a lot traffic wise, not a ton of posting, not a lot of folks on at one time. The site still has some life in it but right now I am sitting on an asmallorange.com dedicated server for my site at hefty cost.
    Is there a way I can move a large portion of my database off the server? Can I mass delete early years data from the database?
    Any options I have that I don't know about to help me out?
    A ton of those first years posting activity has been done by a good portion of membership that is not even using the site anymore.
    Last edited by 1yesfan; Tue 11 Feb '14, 5:00pm.
    Tim L
    www.yesfans.com
  • 1yesfan
    • Feb 2002
    • 3.6.x

How does the ARCHIVE feature work on these sites. If I deleted the first years of my site does that erase the archive stuff of the time also?
    Tim L
    www.yesfans.com

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

No, the archive is not that. How big is your database? What are you trying to prune down? Have you considered moving to a VPS instead of a full dedicated server?

Comment

• 1yesfan
        • Feb 2002
        • 3.6.x

VPS??? I am looking to cut my monthly costs to run the site.
        Tim L
        www.yesfans.com

Comment

• donald1234
          • Oct 2011
          • 4.1.x

A VPS is a lot cheaper than a dedicated server and will be able to handle the lower loads that you are now experiencing. It all like Zachery mentioned comes down to the size of your database as VPS's don't have as much disk space as dedicated servers.

Comment

• 1yesfan
            • Feb 2002
            • 3.6.x

What is VPS>? My site has 2.4 million posts, 74k threads if that tells you anything.
            Tim L
            www.yesfans.com

Comment

• donald1234
              • Oct 2011
              • 4.1.x

VPS is a virtual private server is a dedicated server sliced up like a pie, the more you are willing to pay the bigger your slice of the pie. It is like a dedicated server as you have full root access but generally has less resources. It is impossible to guess how big your database is, you should look at your server stats but I would think you would need at least 100 gig to leave room for backups etc. I don't think it is a good idea to lose any of your hard gained threads and posts as they are a valuable resource for the users that search your site and the Yes fans (me included) that search google.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Database size is probably less than 20 GB unless you have a lot of MP3 and MP4 media containers uploaded. It will tell you in the Admin CP on the Control Panel Home though.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• 1yesfan
                  • Feb 2002
                  • 3.6.x

This info help....
                  Server Type Linux Data Usage 1.58 GB Users to Moderate 0
                  Web Server Apache (cgi-fcgi) Index Usage 648.10 MB Threads to Moderate 0
                  PHP 5.3.23 Attachment Usage 1.16 GB Posts to Moderate 0
                  PHP Max Post Size 8.00 MB Avatar Usage 9.12 MB Attachments to Moderate 0
                  PHP Maximum Upload Size 256.00 MB Profile Picture Usage 8.02 MB
                  Tim L
                  www.yesfans.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...