Flash Uploader for Images - How do we get it back?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Art Andrews
    • Jan 2005
    • 4.0.x

Huge thanks to FranzBanz on putting this solution out there. As many other people have stated, I too am really disappointed at IB's approach to this issue, but it is what it is and complaining about it isn't going to change anything. I am just glad that someone from within our ranks was willing to step up to the plate and provide some type of solution that at least lessons the blow.

Comment

• maupassant
      • Feb 2009
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by FranzBanz
      This is possible, albeit a bit hacky, using a plugin. If you add
      PHP Code:
      $vbulletin->options['attachboxcount'] = $vbulletin->options['attachlimit']; 
      for the newattachment_start hook, this'll set the maximum number of concurrent uploads to the maximum number of attachments you allow per post. You could also just set the limit to an arbitrary number of your choice.
      Hi, I have just tried this (set the max number of concurrent uploads to the max number of attachments allowed per post), and something strange is happening. I have now 100 upload slots (because I allow 100 attachments per post). But only 20 files upload at once, and not 100. Any idea why ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

You might want to try this instead:

A customer patched the file. Obviously we can't formally verify it, however I'm using it on my site and quite a few customers and support staff are using it also.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• maupassant
          • Feb 2009
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
          You might want to try this instead:

A customer patched the file. Obviously we can't formally verify it, however I'm using it on my site and quite a few customers and support staff are using it also.
          Isn't this something for the asset manager ? We do not use the asset manager on our forum.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by maupassant

Isn't this something for the asset manager ? We do not use the asset manager on our forum.
            The Flash uploader is used in the asset manager, but also in the image upload dialogue box in the editor.

The only functionality this affects is the ability to select multiple files and upload them *all at once*.
            If your issue is something different, then you should start your own thread with full details of the problem. This thread relates solely to the Flash uploader and absolutely nothing else.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------

Comment

• maupassant
              • Feb 2009
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B

The Flash uploader is used in the asset manager, but also in the image upload dialogue box in the editor.

The only functionality this affects is the ability to select multiple files and upload them *all at once*.
              If your issue is something different, then you should start your own thread with full details of the problem. This thread relates solely to the Flash uploader and absolutely nothing else.
              I do understand what you say and why, and so yes, maybe I will start my own thread. But I wasn't the one who introduced this other problem (and the solution for it) in this thread. It was done in posts #28 and #29, and that's why I quoted post #29 in my question and continued in this thread rather than start a new one. Thanks for your help regarding the Flash Uploader. Probably a good idea I install this patch.

Comment

• webducknj
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Uploading multiple files at a time in a single file open dialog box is not a significant nor game breaking feature of the software to most of our customers. Many customers have had the Flash uploader turned off for years. The issue is a ROI one from the people at the top. Investing hundreds of hours rewriting the code for a small number of customers isn't something we're going to get approval on.

You can still do multiple file uploads but it requires multiple file open dialogs.

sorry Wayne, but you're dead wrong. this is a big deal and we're now in the same panic as Art as we have multiple commitments to event coverage with a boatload of photos to post from each event. we also have members covering their own events and no way to upload their photos in batches.

very bad for vbulletin to drop the ball on this one.

Comment

• webducknj
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by FranzBanz
                  A quick workaround I've implemented for our forums is to increase the number of `Attachment Upload Inputs` (Options -> Message Attachment Options) to the number of files you want to allow uploading concurrently, and then adding a `multiple` attribute for the file input elements:
                  In the `assetmanager` template, find
                  HTML Code:
                  <input id="firstuploadinput" type="file" class="bginput uploadinput" name="attachment[]" size="30" tabindex="1" />
                  and replace it by
                  HTML Code:
                  <input id="firstuploadinput" type="file" class="bginput uploadinput" name="attachment[]" size="30" tabindex="1" multiple />
                  In the `editor_upload_overlay` template, find
                  HTML Code:
                   <input id="fileupload1" class="textbox" type="file" size="30" name="attachment[]" tabindex="1" />
                  and replace it by
                  HTML Code:
                   <input id="fileupload1" class="textbox" type="file" size="30" name="attachment[]" tabindex="1" multiple />
                  This will allow users with modern (HTML5 compliant) browsers to select multiple files for uploading by using the usual file picker dialog of their operating system (holding the ctrl/shift keys to select multiple files). No code changes or plugins are required for this to work, since vBulletin is ready to process multiple uploads at once. If an user selects more files than the limit you specified in the option named above, extra uploads will fail.

Remember that this is not well tested yet, so it should be considered experimental.

Hello @FranzBanz; and thank you for your trick here.

There are a few parameters in the strings above and I was wondering if you could please explain what they do? There is a 30, a 1 (tabindex), and then another 1. do any of them affect the number of files that can be uploaded at a time?

thanks,
                  bart

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

He's not been online since May so you're unlikely to get a response.

For anyone wanting the multiple uploads back, THIS is your best bet.
                    The swf file has been patched by a third party.
                    Obviously we can't provide official support for that, however many people (including myself) have been using it without issue.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...