Flash Uploader for Images - How do we get it back?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by FranzBanz
    A quick workaround I've implemented for our forums is to increase the number of `Attachment Upload Inputs` (Options -> Message Attachment Options) to the number of files you want to allow uploading concurrently, and then adding a `multiple` attribute for the file input elements:
    In the `assetmanager` template, find
    HTML Code:
    <input id="firstuploadinput" type="file" class="bginput uploadinput" name="attachment[]" size="30" tabindex="1" />
    and replace it by
    HTML Code:
    <input id="firstuploadinput" type="file" class="bginput uploadinput" name="attachment[]" size="30" tabindex="1" multiple />
    In the `editor_upload_overlay` template, find
    HTML Code:
     <input id="fileupload1" class="textbox" type="file" size="30" name="attachment[]" tabindex="1" />
    and replace it by
    HTML Code:
     <input id="fileupload1" class="textbox" type="file" size="30" name="attachment[]" tabindex="1" multiple />
    This will allow users with modern (HTML5 compliant) browsers to select multiple files for uploading by using the usual file picker dialog of their operating system (holding the ctrl/shift keys to select multiple files). No code changes or plugins are required for this to work, since vBulletin is ready to process multiple uploads at once. If an user selects more files than the limit you specified in the option named above, extra uploads will fail.

Remember that this is not well tested yet, so it should be considered experimental.
    Thank you.

I can confirm this does seem to work on 4.2.0, both in the overlay and the asset manager.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• voclain
      • Aug 2002

I just want to say…THANK YOU….I have a PRIVATE FORUM for Photographers…and not being to do MULTI UPLOADS was a deal breaker…now IT is working again

THANK YOU!!!

Kirk

Comment

• djbaxter
        • Aug 2006

A quick workaround I've implemented for our forums is to increase the number of `Attachment Upload Inputs` (Options -> Message Attachment Options) to the number of files you want to allow uploading concurrently, and then adding a `multiple` attribute for the file input elements:
        HTML Code:
        <input id="firstuploadinput" type="file" class="bginput uploadinput" name="attachment[]" size="30" tabindex="1" />
        and replace it by
        HTML Code:
        <input id="firstuploadinput" type="file" class="bginput uploadinput" name="attachment[]" size="30" tabindex="1" multiple />
        HTML Code:
         <input id="fileupload1" class="textbox" type="file" size="30" name="attachment[]" tabindex="1" />
        and replace it by
        HTML Code:
         <input id="fileupload1" class="textbox" type="file" size="30" name="attachment[]" tabindex="1" multiple />
        This will allow users with modern (HTML5 compliant) browsers to select multiple files for uploading by using the usual file picker dialog of their operating system (holding the ctrl/shift keys to select multiple files). No code changes or plugins are required for this to work, since vBulletin is ready to process multiple uploads at once. If an user selects more files than the limit you specified in the option named above, extra uploads will fail.

Remember that this is not well tested yet, so it should be considered experimental.
        This works perfectly for me in vB 4.2.2! Thank you.
        Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
        Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• DirtRider
          • Apr 2009
          • 4.2.X

HTML Code:
          and replace it by
          HTML Code:
          HTML Code:
          and replace it by
          HTML Code:

My question is why did the VB codes not give this as a workaround why does it take a customer with only 3 post to have to do this for the community?

Thank I will implement this until I have completed my move over to Xenforo and VB wonder why their customers are getting so pissed of late

Comment

• mediasnog
            • Jun 2011

So far as I know, that fix will not work with IE-10. That eliminates anywhere from 10% to 25% of users, depending on who's statistics you like.
            Last edited by mediasnog; Sat 11 Jan '14, 6:37am.
            Fedora 15 - Apache/2.2.22 - PHP:5.3.13 (switchable Fast-CGI, CGI, Mod-PHP, SuPHP) - MySQL:5.5.23

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by mediasnog
              So far as I know, that fix will not work with IE-10. That eliminates anywhere from 10% to 25% of users, depending on who's statistics you like.
              According to w3schools.com the multple attribute is supported in IE10. It is not supported in IE9 or lower, but it won't break those browsers, it will just work as a single file upload. - http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_input_multiple.asp

For anyone interested I have made this into a modification available here- http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=306915 - But all credit goes to FranzBanz, I would not have known a fix existed without their post.

The one thing the modification will do is tell people the maximum number of files they are allowed to upload first because there is no (easy) way to limit the number of files that can be selected using the multiple attribute but vBulletin will not process any files above the max set in settings.

The mod requires VB 4.1.10 or higher.

Comment

• FranzBanz
                • Oct 2013
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by mediasnog
                So far as I know, that fix will not work with IE-10.
                According to Microsoft, IE supports multiple upload as of version 10, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...r_improvements, but maybe it's disabled in the IE9 quirks mode vBulletin puts IE in for not breaking hacks needed for former IE versions (I didn't test that). It won't work in IE <= 9, where the `multiple` attribute is ignored and the field degrades to an old one-file-upload field. Apart from IE, all major desktop browsers support multiple file upload, see e.g. http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/inputs.html#t11.

However, as I mentioned before - this is just a quick workaround, not a full-featured replacement for the flash-based image/asset uploader.
                Last edited by FranzBanz; Sat 11 Jan '14, 7:23am. Reason: Added quote for clarification of the context.

Comment

• mediasnog
                  • Jun 2011

Interesting since I'm running IE-10 with Windows 7 and it falls back to single file upload for me.

It's my understanding the multiple upload is controlled more by the underlying operating system than it is by the browser.

EDIT: A regular HTML input with multiple set works with my IE-10 install. For some reason the edit provided does not work with IE-10. It does work with FireFox. So I would imagine it does have something to do with the IE "quirks mode".
                  Last edited by mediasnog; Sat 11 Jan '14, 8:31am.
                  Fedora 15 - Apache/2.2.22 - PHP:5.3.13 (switchable Fast-CGI, CGI, Mod-PHP, SuPHP) - MySQL:5.5.23

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Also see this thread: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=306915
                    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Sat 11 Jan '14, 10:45am.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• djbaxter
                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by DirtRider
                      My question is why did the VB codes not give this as a workaround why does it take a customer with only 3 post to have to do this for the community?
                      Because they weren't aware of it. Once FranzBanz posted this as a fix, BOP5 published it as a product at vbulletin.org within about 12 hours.

How about giving credit where it's due instead of this incessant slamming of vBulletin? It's getting tiresome.
                      Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
                      Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• alexm
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Art Andrews
                        the only hope of tackling this is to take the the existing/compromised YUI and have a flash code close the exploit and then enable the YUI as it is already supported in the current vb coding
                        My attempt can be found here:

VB Team, I may be mistaken here but if people are using the hosted version of YUI (i.e. via Google or Yahoo) then how are they to delete the flash uploader script? At the very least you should be releasing an

Usual disclaimers apply!

Comment

• Dmitri
                          • Feb 2007

FranzBanz, Thanks a lot! It works on my forum too!

Comment

• Jennifer2010
                            • Mar 2011

I can verify this works on my install too. Thank you! However, does anyone know how to increase the number of maximum uploads from 10? Most of our users upload probably 20 - 50 pictures per thread.

Comment

• FranzBanz
                              • Oct 2013
                              • 4.2.X

This is possible, albeit a bit hacky, using a plugin. If you add
                              PHP Code:
                              $vbulletin->options['attachboxcount'] = $vbulletin->options['attachlimit']; 
                              for the newattachment_start hook, this'll set the maximum number of concurrent uploads to the maximum number of attachments you allow per post. You could also just set the limit to an arbitrary number of your choice.

Comment

• IggyP
                                • Mar 2012

wow, it may not be a big deal for a majority but i bet more people than you might think will have problems with this...

and for the ones who do have a prob its a MAJOR one...its not unusual for me to upload over 100 pics in a thread, and up to around 50 "at once", which is simply not possible one at a time...

many forums are image posting intensive and would like to encourage image uploads...which should be more and more common into this high tech future we got, lol....due to more forums existing if nothing else, but big respects to those working on this...unless i missed something, it seems at present there isnt really a way to fix it without breaking something else but will try to keep patient

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...