X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dougdirac
    • Jul 2012
    • 4.2.X

YUI Security Issue

Saw this security alert: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...n-uploader-swf

Could someone explain what exactly that file does in vB4 and how its removal will affect the user experience on my site? If YUI 2 is end-of-life, why aren't we using YUI 3?
    Thanks.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

YUI 3 is not a drop in replacement for YUI 2. Its about the same amount of work/effort to move to jquery, as it is YUI3. So that is why its not replaced, the removal will only allow users to use the ajax uploader instead of the flash uploader. The system will auto fallback if the flash uploader does not respond correctly.

Comment

• John Lester
      • Jul 2000
      • 4.1.x

There was no attached file btw.
      BrainTalk is a support group for friends, family, caregivers, and patients with neurological disorders and other health related diagnosis.

BrainTalk Communities Inc
      sigpic

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

There was a bit of human error in the email, check the announcement forum.

Comment

• JuniorNation
          • Sep 2009
          • 3.8.x

They refuse to fix a broken product go figure.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

We've provided a fix for the issue without sacrificing overall functionality in vBulletin. We can't fix third-party integrated code. Lack of updates to code is why we've moved away from YUI.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• CPOWA
              • Oct 2007
              • 4.1.x

I'm still not seeing a file in the announcement to replace the clientscript\yui\uploader\assets\uploader.swf file. Can I just edit it in place, delete everything in it and save it? Thanks.
              Pelican Exterior Cleaning, Inc.

Comment

• pierguy
                • May 2003
                • 4.1.x

Where is the attachment .swf file? It's not in the email VB sent, it's not in the post on the announcements forum, it's nowhere. Not the best way to handle a security risk.

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

It's attached to the announcement post, but it is literally just a blank file with the same name as the original.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• dougdirac
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                    YUI 3 is not a drop in replacement for YUI 2. Its about the same amount of work/effort to move to jquery, as it is YUI3. So that is why its not replaced, the removal will only allow users to use the ajax uploader instead of the flash uploader. The system will auto fallback if the flash uploader does not respond correctly.
                    Can we expect any such update using jquery, then?

Is there any way to edit/improve the look of the ajax uploader. The "Upload File(s)" button needs 1) look like a button and 2) to be spaced down from the "Choose File" button. I'd also like to be able to add some text that would explain how to use it.

Comment

• bchertov
                      bchertov commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree completely! By any chance have you made your suggested changes yet? If not, I plan to hire someone for this.
                  • Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by dougdirac
                    Can we expect any such update using jquery, then?

Is there any way to edit/improve the look of the ajax uploader. The "Upload File(s)" button needs 1) look like a button and 2) to be spaced down from the "Choose File" button. I'd also like to be able to add some text that would explain how to use it.
                    It is unlikely this will happen anytime soon, if at all.
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• dougdirac
                      • Jul 2012
                      • 4.2.X

So is there a template or a file I can edit to improve the look and clarity of the ajax uploader. I don't want a bunch of confused users.

Comment

• Jamsoft
                        • Jun 2011

So what are the implications of this potential exploit? Do I need to start combing my tree for unauthorized file uploads? What damage could have been done?

Comment

• vbsm
                          • Dec 2011

So I can just delete uploader.swf, and not deal with replacing it?

Comment

• dougdirac
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by vbsm
                            So I can just delete uploader.swf, and not deal with replacing it?
                            I think if you simply delete the file, it will break things. I.e., the uploader won't work at all. You need to replace it with a blank file.

By the way, this particular exploit was made public on November 11, 2013 -- nearly two months ago. Why are we just hearing about it?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...