How long does it take to build up a forum members and posting Im getting a little

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karenyvonne
    • Jan 2009

[Forum] How long does it take to build up a forum members and posting Im getting a little

Disapointed that mine hasnt taken off as quick as I woudve liked, ok i have 37 members
    which isnt bad i guess and a couple have posted, i have put my heart and soul into
    this forum, but i am starting to think facebook has won, and thinking of selling on my
    licence.
    I have done all i can to promote my forum, just that certain friends said they would
    do this that and the other to help but they have done nothing. So am at a loss what
    to do now
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Take a look through this forum for ideas which may help:

Managing your Community

Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• karenyvonne
      • Jan 2009

Thank you Trevor

Comment

• Ramsesx
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by karenyvonne
        Disapointed that mine hasnt taken off as quick as I woudve liked, ok i have 37 members
        which isnt bad i guess and a couple have posted, i have put my heart and soul into
        this forum, but i am starting to think facebook has won, and thinking of selling on my
        licence.
        I have done all i can to promote my forum, just that certain friends said they would
        do this that and the other to help but they have done nothing. So am at a loss what
        to do now
        Nowadays it's really, really hard to succeed in running a forum. In every niche there are competitors with many years in advance, more members, many posts etc. and it's not easy to attract people being active in a forum without lot of activity.
        How long do you run your forum?

Comment

• setishock
          • Jun 2005
          • 4.2.x

You're not alone hun. I've been beating my head on the keyboard for several years. But I haven't given up and you shouldn't either. Building up a member base takes time. One day you're going to log in and be surprised at what's going on.

Oh and one thing I find that really works is putting a link in the sig here and vb org. Matter of fact any forum you belong to, if it's allowed, put your forum link in your sig.

Comment

• karenyvonne
            • Jan 2009

thanks for the great advice guys, its doin well i guess lol, ive only had it for 2 months now, and got 37 members
            who have posted. I have a problem with the sig it still has the forum php in it where it shud just say .com lol

Comment

• karenyvonne
              • Jan 2009

This is what happens when i post my url>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.theinfinitematrix.com/forum.php

Comment

• donald1234
                • Oct 2011
                • 4.1.x

Hi, you don't need the php part for a link http://www.theinfinitematrix.com will be sufficient.

Do you know that guests can't see any content despite your welcome message saying that they can?

Comment

• whitey10tc
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 4.0.x

A suggestion to increase activity, open up the forum to a limited guest viewing. If I came across your forum, I would skip past it because I can't even see what it's got and if I might be interested.
                  There are some plugins on vb.org that will limit guest viewing to x amount of pages, posts, threads, etc.
                  Other suggestions, Halloween's over show that your forum is maintained, your logo says prevbb, copyright lower right corner is the same, but copyright lowerleft matches your url. What I'm saying is be consistent, I would be confused and Leary as to what the forum really is. prevbb or The infinate matrix? Change your meta description to what your forum is about, you currently have
                  This is a discussion forum powered by vBulletin. To find out about vBulletin, go to http://www.vbulletin.com/ .
                  which again doesn't tell anyone what the forum is.

We opened our forum in Jan 2010, after another forum went offline. The founding four members had alot of that info so we were able to populate the forum with over 2,000 posts in the first day. Within a week we had grown to over 200 members. Now almost 2 yrs later we gain 30-40 members a day. But it has slowed down alot. But we have always been consistent with the name and googlebots are a permanent fixture.
                  www.cdmagurus.com
                  www.cellphone-gurus.com

Comment

• China-Rising
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 4.1.x

I don't think there is any secret to running a successful forum. One of mine I would certainly say it's successful, we don't have millions of members, but we have a very solid member base who post daily. Another of my forums I shut down earlier this year as it was going no where and I tried everything to get it going. But there was far too much competition out there for what I was doing and the competition had some massive established sites with 1000's of members.

As long as you have a few dedicated members who post daily and you put in a bit of hard work then hopefully it should grow.

Always remember though that having 1000's of members isn't a sign of success if half of those members don't post. I would rather have 10 users who post daily than 1000 members who don't post at all.
                    The Number 2 Oldskool Site
                    Its All About Oldskool

Comment

• steven s
                      • Jul 2004
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by China-Rising
                      Always remember though that having 1000's of members isn't a sign of success if half of those members don't post. I would rather have 10 users who post daily than 1000 members who don't post at all.
                      My forum is +10 years old. I have around 300 members who login at least once every 10 days.
                      I have 3 other forums that I launched a years ago that have gone nowhere mainly because of my lack of promotion.
                      ...steven
                      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• China-Rising
                        • Jun 2010
                        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by steven s
                        My forum is +10 years old. I have around 300 members who login at least once every 10 days.
                        I have 3 other forums that I launched a years ago that have gone nowhere mainly because of my lack of promotion.
                        10 years is a long time and I'd say 300 members is fine as well, they post, that's the main thing.
                        The Number 2 Oldskool Site
                        Its All About Oldskool

Comment

• steven s
                          • Jul 2004
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by China-Rising
                          10 years is a long time and I'd say 300 members is fine as well, they post, that's the main thing.
                          I'm happy with what we have.
                          I think everyone needs to decide what is a successful forum is. Each person has their own opinion.
                          The topic plays such a big role.
                          ...steven
                          www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                          bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                          "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• karenyvonne
                            • Jan 2009

Thanks guys, i dont know how to do away with it quite annoying lol

Comment

• karenyvonne
                              • Jan 2009

Now have 40 members and they are starting to post yay

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...