What to do with threads with many posts (10.000+)?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alan_SP
    • Nov 2009
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] What to do with threads with many posts (10.000+)?

I have threads with many posts (some have over 30.000 posts) and I know that some forums locks such threads and put them in archive and open new threads instead. They say it is because such threads are hard to moderate (server wise).

Well, when threads become burden to server and what is optimal maximal number of posts for thread?

I know that having to many forums and subforums can affect server performance. Is it also so with threads having too many posts?
  • Alfa1
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

Threads should not be over 1.000 posts or it can affect performance. So I close all such threads and split them into smaller threads.
    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Alan_SP
      • Nov 2009
      • 3.8.x

Do you know how much big threads affect server?

I have many chatting threads and locking threads with more than 1000 posts is a bit impractical. Threads with 10 000 posts could be fine... Is there some more information on how much big threads affect server performance and when? With when I mean, when they are moderated, read, or written into?

Comment

• TheNewOne
        • Aug 2011

If you have not found the forums slowing down I would leave them as they are

Comment

• Alan_SP
          • Nov 2009
          • 3.8.x

Well, I couldn't tell at the moment, but with time it could become problem. So I'd like to know in advance if threads with many posts are problem.

If they are, I'll just close threads, move them to archive and open new ones, so user can continue chatting. The questions is, do I need to do this and when?

Comment

• Alfa1
            • Dec 2005
            • 3.8.x

Once I split up all my large threads, I experienced a performance boost. I did have threads of many thousands of posts. The vb staff advised strongly against having such long threads. On their advice I split up those threads.
            I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Alan_SP
              • Nov 2009
              • 3.8.x

So, large threads could impact performance even if they aren't used at all?

Large threads I have are chat threads and they wouldn't be used after they are closed and new ones opened. Would they impact performance even if they aren't used?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...