Web Host closes site due to "High CPU Usage!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonUrban
    • Jul 2003

Web Host closes site due to "High CPU Usage!

I have no idea what to do, but I got this email and now my site is down. Can anyone here tell me what is going on? THANKS

~~Hello,
    I apologize, but I was forced to suspend the script /home/oblio98/public_html/forums/ as it was causing a high load on the server, and due to it affecting all of the other accounts on the system, I was forced to take immediate action for the health of the server.
    Unfortunately I do not have any specific recommendations for this script, however, in general, adding some sort of caching mechanism, where the script does not need to generate a new page with every request, helps to lower the over load that a script will cause. Likely the original author or support group of the software that you are using will be able to help you to understand how to add something of this nature.
    If you reply back to this with your IP address (http://www.hostgator.com/ip.shtml) we will be more than happy to go ahead enable HTTP access for you, so that you can safely work on the script without it causing further issues. Please let us know how you would like to proceed.
    Running Processes:
    =============== Pass 1 ===============
    oblio98 21734 23.0 0.0 0 0 ? ZN 11:33 0:01 [php] <defunct>
    oblio98 22531 0.0 0.0 290880 15892 ? RN 11:34 0:00 /usr/bin/php /home1/oblio98/public_html/forums/showthread.php
    =============== Pass 2 ===============
    oblio98 22531 24.5 0.1 310420 36580 ? RN 11:34 0:00 /usr/bin/php /home1/oblio98/public_html/forums/showthread.php
    oblio98 22620 28.0 0.0 301444 27432 ? RN 11:34 0:00 /usr/bin/php /home1/oblio98/public_html/forums/showthread.php
    oblio98 22646 25.0 0.0 296940 22564 ? RN 11:34 0:00 /usr/bin/php /home1/oblio98/public_html/forums/image.php
    =============== Pass 3 ===============
    oblio98 22620 38.0 0.1 311948 38160 ? RN 11:34 0:00 /usr/bin/php /home1/oblio98/public_html/forums/showthread.php
    oblio98 22914 15.0 0.0 290748 15632 ? RN 11:34 0:00 /usr/bin/php /home1/oblio98/public_html/forums/showthread.php
    Running Queries:
    Warning: Using unique option prefix pass instead of password is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Please use the full name instead.
    *************************** 1. row ***************************
    USER: oblio98_forums
    DB: oblio98_vb4forum
    STATE:
    TIME: 0
    COMMAND: Sleep
    INFO: NULL
    *************************** 2. row ***************************
    STATE:
    Warning: Using unique option prefix pass instead of password is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Please use the full name instead.
    STATE:
    STATE:
    STATE:
    STATE:
    Open connections:
    Recent Site Requests:
    121.73.156.99 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/ajax.php?do=autosave
    157.55.34.175 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/showthread.php?16684-Help-with-CD-4-Decode
    157.55.35.87 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/showthread.php?12508-Sherlock-Holmes-5-1&p=106438
    213.143.50.98 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/clientscript/vbulletin_ajax_suggest.js?v=422
    213.143.50.98 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/clientscript/vbulletin_ajax_threadrate.js?v=422
    213.143.50.98 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00005l/main-rollup.
    213.143.50.98 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/clientscript/vbulletin_multi_quote.js?v=422
    213.143.50.98 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/clientscript/vbulletin_quick_reply.js?v=422
    213.143.50.98 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/clientscript/vbulletin_textedit.js?v=422
    213.143.50.98 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/clientscript/yui/yuiloader-dom-event/yuiloader-dom-
    213.143.50.98 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/showthread.php?18311-XTC-Nonsuch-BluRayAudio&p=1965
    213.143.50.98 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/showthread.php?18388-The-Who-TOMMY-BluRay-Audio&p=1
    217.69.133.203 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/showthread.php?15350-The-Wall-is-Coming-to-5-1-SACD
    66.249.73.77 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/showthread.php?17790-Sanyo-FT-862-under-dash-Quad-8
    78.147.18.119 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/forumdisplay.php?70-Blu-Ray-Music-amp-Music-Videos-
    99.186.19.99 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11838&stc=1&d=138374116
    99.186.19.99 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11850&stc=1&d=138382466
    99.186.19.99 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11852&stc=1&d=138383048
    99.186.19.99 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/image.php?u=7146&dateline=1383063799
    99.186.19.99 quadraphonicquad.com /forums/images/attach/mp3.gif
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Do you have any modifications on your site? If so, disable them and see if hostgator finds the server loads acceptable then.

Try disabling your modifications/plugins and see if you still have this problem.
    Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit includes/config.php and add this line right under <?php

PHP Code:
    define('DISABLE_HOOKS'true); 

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• JonUrban
      • Jul 2003

I will try that Lynne, thanks. I have a few mods, but nothing out of the ordinary and not a lot.

Comment

• JonUrban
        • Jul 2003

Lynne, I put that in the config.php file and am waiting for Host Gator support. Can you tell from that blurb above what script is going wild?
        This has happened to me before, they close my site, I say "I don't know what's going on", they open it back up, and all is well.

I am tempted to find another host. Does this happen to other forums often? I am not a real "web guy", so I'm clueless about this stuff. It seems to me that a vB forum that is not that big should never hog a CPU for anything.

PS - I've done all of the stuff that is recommended with regards to making a vB forum streamlined and clean in the past.

Comment

• donald1234
          • Oct 2011
          • 4.1.x

It depends how busy your site is, it could be that you will need to upgrade to a VPS package if you regularly have more than 200 members+guests online at once.

Comment

• JonUrban
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by donald1234
            It depends how busy your site is, it could be that you will need to upgrade to a VPS package if you regularly have more than 200 members+guests online at once.
            We average about 10-30 members on site at a time. Rarely over 80. I do see a lot of spiders and "guests" from time to time.

Would it help server usage if I set the forums so that unregistered guests cannot see the forum sections? If that helps, I would do that, however, I would really like to avoid that.

Multichannel sound community forum & for sale classifieds including quadraphonic. Home audio forums for DVD-A & SACD. Forums for label histories & discographies.

Comment

• donald1234
              • Oct 2011
              • 4.1.x

You should consider banning the IP's or IP ranges of some of the unwanted bots, especially the ones from china and russia if you are not targetting those countries as they can waste a lot of server resources.

Not advisable to block guests from reading your posts imo as google and other good bots will not be able to index your site properly.

Comment

• JonUrban
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by donald1234
                You should consider banning the IP's or IP ranges of some of the unwanted bots, especially the ones from china and russia if you are not targetting those countries as they can waste a lot of server resources.

Not advisable to block guests from reading your posts imo as google and other good bots will not be able to index your site properly.
                It's funny, because I see in the server access logs TONS of access from China and Russia, and I even started added those IP's into the 'IP DENY' area on my site control panel, but there are so many of them I gave up. I heard that if you put too many IPs in this area, it slows down the site.

What is with those bots? Why do they care about my little site?

Comment

• purplesage
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 4.2.X

I used this mod for banning spiders it worked like a charm.

Ban Spiders by User Agent

The bots from china are sogua, soso and baidu among others .yandex is a russian search engine
                  Keep in mind its that baidu is the 4th biggest search engine if you care about that kind of traffic.
                  there are 6 billion people in china and probably half as many hackers

heres what it looks like on my site.
                  i created a username and put the threads in a forum - then just send them to a log

Comment

• JonUrban
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by purplesage
                    I used this mod for banning spiders it worked like a charm.

Ban Spiders by User Agent

The bots from china are sogua, soso and baidu among others .yandex is a russian search engine
                    Keep in mind its that baidu is the 4th biggest search engine if you care about that kind of traffic.
                    there are 6 billion people in china and probably half as many hackers

heres what it looks like on my site.
                    i created a username and put the threads in a forum - then just send them to a log

http://www.anglersdigest.net/forum/s...s-Scraper-Bots
                    THANKS purplesage!

As soon as I get my site back up, I will install this mod (and turn on plug-ins again)

I also may look for another host, as these guys have been little help (HostGator) and my site has been down now for over 24hrs!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...