Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saj716
    • Jul 2006

Spammers - Spammers - getting very old quickly

I don't know what to do. I've been using VB for at least 7 years and ever since I went to 4.0 I've had a problem with spammers. Now it's unbearable.

I get no less than 50 spammers a day
    They have to be bots that get through the registration process as I have it sat for question and answer verification. I have a paint forum and the questions are very particular about painting. If you don't know auto painting, you aren't getting in...well at least I thought.
    Most of the spammer registrations are in batches. I'll get 8-10 in the same given minute.
    I the plugin hook system 'off'.

What do I do?
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by saj716
    What do I do?
    Change your questions and answers urgently.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• saj716
      • Jul 2006

I already have some tough questions. I have to at least make it so people registering have a chance of figuring them out.
      Also, there is no way someone can fill out the form, figure out the questions, and register 10 times in the same minute.

Also to add, I have the 4.2.2 version

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by saj716
        I already have some tough questions. I have to at least make it so people registering have a chance of figuring them out.
        Also, there is no way someone can fill out the form, figure out the questions, and register 10 times in the same minute.
        ...but there is a way for someone to go to your forum, figure out the answers, and give them to the public.
        Then bots can register 10+ times in the same minute with different usernames.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• john_stm
          • Jan 2008

Are you using Stop Forum Spam?

Comment

• wda2015
            • May 2001

Look on vb.org for Verify Email Before Registration it works really well.
            Simple Straight Forward EU cPanel vBulletin Web Hosting Provider.

Comment

• saj716
              • Jul 2006

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll check them all out.Scott

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...