X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Art Andrews
    • Jan 2005
    • 4.0.x

[Forum] I need a mobile solution for vB 4.2.2

Let me start by saying I know this has been discussed before, but as time marches on and software (hopefully) continues to improve, I would like to get thoughts and opinions on a unified mobile solution for our sites.

From what I can see, there are 4 major options: Tapatalk, Forumrunner, vB's Mobile Suite and a Mobile style for the forum that is the default for mobile devices.

We currently use Tapatalk, and appreciate a lot of what they do but I don't like their unbranded solution or the pricing on their branded options. I also don't like how they inject certain things like their own Twitter card. We have a number of fairly successful forums, but our revenue via their ad solution would be laughable if I couldn't stop crying.

I haven't tried Forumrunner in years... just remember we finally took it out in favor of Tapatalk and haven't revisited.

I have the Mobile Suite for our two largest forums, and even bought a Mac, just so I could sign the stupid apps... but I find the app signing process such a nightmare that we haven't even been able to upgrade to the latest Mobile Suite version. I don't know why this is so overly complicated, but it makes me not want to use the Mobile Suite solely because of that.

I really really like the idea of simply using a mobile style that is pushed out to all mobile devices. It is easily configurable, simple and already a part of vB. I don't know anything about trying to push ads into it and that is a concern, but I really like the theory of using this.

I really don't want to offer multiple options, but instead pick one and just go with that. We now have between a quarter and a third of our customers coming to us via mobile and I want to provide them the best platform possible while, at the same time, making sure that we have a revenue generating component in place that captures at least some amount of money back for us.

Would really appreciate hearing your experiences, thoughts and suggestions.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Well I use a mobile style along with Forum Runner and that's worked well for me for years now.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• hurricane_sh
      • Mar 2005

This is a great thread, I often think about these questions raised by OP. I'm currently using tapatalk (removed reminding messages to download tapatalk) and vB built-in mobile style. But not only the mobile style has limited functionality, even the full site mode on iPad doesn't work as well as on PC. The ideal solution is a custom-built App, but thinking about the building, submission, upgrading and cost, I prefer a full-fledged mobile style. Enter key generates strange characters on this forum.

Comment

• Art Andrews
        • Jan 2005
        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
        Well I use a mobile style along with Forum Runner and that's worked well for me for years now.

Mark, do you have either of those two solutions monetized? Also, you said you use "a" mobile style. Is it the default mobile style that comes with vB or something else?

Comment

• Art Andrews
          • Jan 2005
          • 4.0.x

Psst... Mark....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...