• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calwebsnc
    • Dec 2009
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] Vbulletin 4.2 HACKED

Hi,
    I have a problem with my forum. Spammers are able to register (automatically i think) and publish messages.

Da più di 20 anni guidiamo e informiamo gli studenti di ogni età: appunti, guide, consigli, notizie e risorse utili per ogni tipo di studente

I think something is going wrong. How can I solve this problem?

Example: http://forum.studentville.it/showthr...377#post219377

Best
    Giuseppe
  • donald1234
    • Oct 2011
    • 4.1.x

You have recaptcha enabled, the spambots can solve that, you should change to questions and answers or moderate new signups.

Comment

• calwebsnc
      • Dec 2009
      • 3.8.x

Thank you

Comment

• DemOnstar
        • Nov 2012

Also, this may be of interest http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=289463

Comment

• calwebsnc
          • Dec 2009
          • 3.8.x

Hi, I have enabled questions ad added questions like answering in words asking to make sums of numbers but looks like the bot are still able to register and post. What can i do?

Comment

• donald1234
            • Oct 2011
            • 4.1.x

Simple sums are easy for the bots to guess, better to ask questions that are relative to your forums niche.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

We have determined the most effective "Human Verification" currently built into vBulletin is "Question and Answer" verification.

To enable this go to your Admin CP -> Settings -> Human Verification Manager. (In VB 3.x it is Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Human Verification Manager)

Click on this link.

On the new page choose the option for "Question & Answer Verification."

If this is the first time you are using it you will need to add one or more questions and answers. To add your first question click on the "Add New Question" near the bottom center of the page.

On the next page enter a question. Do not make this a math question (what is 2+2?)- Math questions are absolutely worthless. If your forum is about a specific topic try to make the question something someone interested in your niche would likely know. If not still make a question that requires a human to answer- creativity helps here.

An example question would be: If there are three people in a room how many total toes are likely in the room?

Leave the box for "Regular Expression" blank. Use it only if you understand Regular Expressions.

Hit "Save"

On the next page there will now be a button "Add New Answer" - Press It.

The next page is one simple box marked "Answer." Enter the answer to the question. Questions can have multiple correct answers.

Answers are NOT case sensitive so if you put "thirty" in as an answer both "Thirty" and "THIRTY" will also work.

Enter "thirty" as the answer (without quotes.)

Save.

Now you will be back on the page where you can press the "Add New Answer" again, press it.

This time add the answer: 30
              And hit "Save" again.

If your forum is multilingual you may want to continue adding answers to cover the word "thirty" in different languages.

When you believe you have set every possible correct answer you can click on the Admin CP Menu to go back to "Human Verification Manager" and repeat the process to add additional questions.

The more questions you have the better you will be- five is a good minimum, 10 or more is better.

In general avoid any questions where the answers may be common among many sites even if the question is different- That is to say no matter how hard the question is if the answer is "3" or "Blue" avoid the question. Spam bots may try common answers even if they can't understand the question just to see if they get lucky. Avoid answers that are low or common numbers, basic colors, and the like.

We have found forums that implement good Q&A questions stop nearly all "bot" spam. (We have documented drops of a 90% reduction in registrations, all of which were spammers.) There will always be spam created by humans though who cannot be blocked by easy questions.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• thunderclap
                • Dec 2008
                • 4.2.x

A plug-in we've had very good luck with is Glowhost's Spam-O-Matic. While it's not 100% perfect it does a good job of limiting fake accounts and spam posts. You should definitely give it a consideration.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...