how do I require user login to view threads?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tuningmode
    • Sep 2010

[Forum] how do I require user login to view threads?

I made the permissions change where when the guest/logged out user views the homepage, they can view the categories, but once they click on the categories they can still see the threads. I want it so that it will display the categories on the homepage, but once they click the categories, it will require them to login.
  • GhoHan
    • Nov 2007
    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by tuningmode
    I made the permissions change where when the guest/logged out user views the homepage, they can view the categories, but once they click on the categories they can still see the threads. I want it so that it will display the categories on the homepage, but once they click the categories, it will require them to login.
    Try to go to your vBulletin AdminCP > Forums & Moderators > Forum Permissions
    there you can set/edit Unregistered / Not Logged In Permission.
    There You will be find
    Forum Viewing Permissions
    - Can View Forum Yes
    - Can View Thread Content No <-- set no this will automatic require guest register/login to view content
    - Can View Others' Threads Yes

Hope this can help you

Regards.
    Last edited by GhoHan; Thu 10 Nov '11, 3:59am.

Comment

• tuningmode
      • Sep 2010

I changed it to the way you did, which is actually how I originally had it with other settings. However it still will reveal the thread titles within the categories until I actually click on the thread link.

Comment

• josiah
        • Nov 2008
        • 4.1.x

Admin cp > usergroup > forum viewing permissions > can view forum = Y, can view others threads =N
        <<<<<<<<< It is over there !

Comment

• tuningmode
          • Sep 2010

ok, I set it to can view forum = Y can view thread content = N can view other's thread = Y. This should have worked where the guests can see a recent thread title on the homepage but when clicking on the appropriate category leads them to the register/login section, however it doesn't

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Set "Can View Other's Thread" to no.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tuningmode
              • Sep 2010

ok, I set it to can view forum = Y can view thread content = N can view other's thread = Y. This should have worked where the guests can see a recent thread title on the homepage but when clicking on the appropriate category leads them to the register/login section, however it doesn't

Comment

• josiah
                • Nov 2008
                • 4.1.x

Both myself and wayne have given you the correct method which you seem unable to comprehend or choose to disregard..
                <<<<<<<<< It is over there !

Comment

• tuningmode
                  • Sep 2010

Setting other views thread = No, is not what I'm looking for. The method you provided josiah should have worked, however it's actually not working, so I'm thinking it might be some issue with the coding that may have gotten messed up. I guess I will have to troubleshoot this to see why it's not properly working.

Comment

• tuningmode
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by i-comers.com
                    Try to go to your vBulletin AdminCP > Forums & Moderators > Forum Permissions
                    there you can set/edit Unregistered / Not Logged In Permission.
                    There You will be find
                    Forum Viewing Permissions
                    - Can View Forum Yes
                    - Can View Thread Content No <-- set no this will automatic require guest register/login to view content
                    - Can View Others' Threads Yes

Hope this can help you

Regards.
                    I believe this is the setting I want to have it at.

To be very specific, I want the homepage to display the threads replies/view counts as well as the last recent post title. I don't want it to say private. Once I click on the category it will redirect to say that I need to login to view the threads. I tried on a fresh install and based on the settings above, it is not working.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

That is because your settings are wrong. By specifying that they can View Other's Threads, you're giving them permission to view the content of the forum.

To do what you want to do without having the word private, you have to have custom coding. The permission for that forum that should be Yes is "Can View Forum"
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...