X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dugchugger
    • May 2007
    • 4.2.X

503 Service Unavailable after upgrading to 4.2.2

Will post requested error logs here as soon as I locate them.
    ~ duggy
  • dugchugger
    • May 2007
    • 4.2.X

I keep getting logged off this site, even when I've just logged back in one minute earlier and was in the middle of replying...

Here goes again...

The error logs are not posting to where I indicated in Settings -> Options -> Error Logging & Handling ... so I think I'm still entering the info in wrong. However, a generic error.log does show the errors from the test.php page... but even after attempting to replicate the 503 Service Unavailable error when editing the article, nothing shows up. I take it this means it's not a php error?

[28-Oct-2013 01:19:35 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/xxxx/public_html/test.php on line 7
    [28-Oct-2013 01:25:55 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/xxxx/public_html/test.php on line 7
    [28-Oct-2013 01:31:45 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/xxxx/public_html/test.php on line 7
    [28-Oct-2013 01:32:31 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/xxxx/public_html/test.php on line 7
    [28-Oct-2013 01:33:08 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/xxxx/public_html/test.php on line 7
    ~ duggy

Comment

• dugchugger
      • May 2007
      • 4.2.X

I thought I'd try Steve's instructions here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...rors-to-a-file

It's not valid because I'm certain there is no root 'forums' directory on that server. Besides if it were valid, it would work.

Enable phpinfo in the Admin CP, then provide the URL to your forums. This may help us troubleshoot this problem.

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Public phpinfo() Display Enabled
      But when I did this and dded "&do=phpinfo" (without the quotes) to the end of the php file, I got the 503 Service Unavailable error. I've disabled it again for security reasons, but does this at all provide a clue as to what's happening? I just want to find the path of what I'm supposed to put in my Error Logging & Handling -> Log PHP Errors to a File.

Either way, the error.log doesn't show any php errors... still only the test.php error logs.

~ duggy

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

OK, glad we are getting the php errors logged- per the ticket please ask your host to temporarily increase server resources to see if it helps.

The fact phpinfo causes the same issue may mean your host has some kind of security installed that limits which functions can be called in php, ask them about that. Tell them what happened when you tried to run phpinfo.

Go to the Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Problematic Webserver Modules, and report if anything is listed as installed.

Comment

• dugchugger
          • May 2007
          • 4.2.X

Thanks Joe.

I was told this yesterday...

server is running cloudlinux as I've mentioned earlier, so each user account has a limited amount of CPU and memory to use. However I've already checked if your account is hitting its limits and it is not. But we could I suppose temporarily increase the limits anyway, for you to test if you would like.
          ...and I'm looking for confirmation that it was done. However, as of waking up this morning, I can't log onto my own forums... lol I see the confirmation pop-up that I'm logging in, but then it takes me back to the previous page and shows that I'm not logged in. I was just able to log into the admincp though. Oh what fresh hell is this!?

This is what I see when I run Problematic Webserver Modules:

Suhosin
          Module Loaded No
          mod_security
          AJAX Unicode Issue No
          Results
          The above setting will indicate if mod_security is preventing some AJAX requests from being submitted to vBulletin. If this shows Yes then you either need to disable mod_security or change the AJAX settings with the vBulletin Options and disable Problematic features.
          ~ duggy

Comment

• dugchugger
            • May 2007
            • 4.2.X

When I try to log onto the forums (not admincp) these are the errors I see...

2013-10-28 17:20:44.116 [INFO] [####:58625-0#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
            2013-10-28 17:18:49.913 [INFO] [####:58226-0#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
            2013-10-28 17:18:08.560 [INFO] [####:51141-0#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
            2013-10-28 17:17:54.092 [INFO] [####:51089-4#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
            2013-10-28 17:14:51.739 [INFO] [####:57565-0#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
            2013-10-28 17:14:12.240 [INFO] [####:57369-0#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
            2013-10-28 17:12:13.326 [INFO] [####:57037-0#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
            2013-10-28 16:57:34.869 [INFO] [####:50737-1#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
            ~ duggy

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dugchugger
              When I try to log onto the forums (not admincp) these are the errors I see...

2013-10-28 17:20:44.116 [INFO] [####:58625-0#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
              2013-10-28 17:18:49.913 [INFO] [####:58226-0#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
              2013-10-28 17:18:08.560 [INFO] [####:51141-0#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
              2013-10-28 17:17:54.092 [INFO] [####:51089-4#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
              2013-10-28 17:14:51.739 [INFO] [####:57565-0#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
              2013-10-28 17:14:12.240 [INFO] [####:57369-0#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
              2013-10-28 17:12:13.326 [INFO] [####:57037-0#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
              2013-10-28 16:57:34.869 [INFO] [####:50737-1#APVH_myforums.com] File not found [/home/####/public_html/404.shtml]
              These aren't related to vBulletin.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dugchugger
                • May 2007
                • 4.2.X

Hey Wayne!

After seeing this I checked a few things I hadn't thought to check before... like my nameservers. I ran the domain through Leaf DNS and one of my nameservers appears to be incorrect. o.O
                I've contacted my host about this. Hoping to high hell this might have been the issue all along.
                ~ duggy

Comment

• dugchugger
                  • May 2007
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Joe D.
                  OK, glad we are getting the php errors logged- per the ticket please ask your host to temporarily increase server resources to see if it helps.

The fact phpinfo causes the same issue may mean your host has some kind of security installed that limits which functions can be called in php, ask them about that. Tell them what happened when you tried to run phpinfo.

Go to the Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Problematic Webserver Modules, and report if anything is listed as installed.
                  I asked for confirmation yesterday that they'd temporarily increased server resources... but no reply to this as yet. They've answered me since yesterday, but not with regards to this particular question. Still dancing with them over the DNS issue. My head hurts from banging it against the wall. If correcting the nameservers doesn't resolve the 503 Service Unavailable issue, I'm pretty screwed. I agree that this is most likely something on my host's end, but they don't seem to have a clue where to look and I'm even more clueless when it comes to these matters, so it's like the blind leading the blind.

And I'm still unable to set up the Error Logging & Handling in vb admincp... sooo.... *bang bang bang*
                  ~ duggy

Comment

• dugchugger
                    • May 2007
                    • 4.2.X

Nameservers have been corrected... still getting 503 Service Unavailable error when trying to edit an article or create a new.

I see that Zachery suggested to another member (here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...h-or-new-posts) who was having a similar problem that he try updating his forums. S'funny since this error only started occurring for me after updating to 4.2.2. So updating/not updating can actually have something to do with the 503 error? Is that what I'm seeing?

Honestly... should I try reverting back to 4.2.1?
                    ~ duggy

Comment

- have you tried to disable all mods (if any) ?
                      - have you checked the server log? Usually in my case, 503 service unavailable is caused by RAM outage, and caused PHP to stop. It may differ in your case.
                      - have you tried to use latest PHP? latest vbulletin (4.2.2) works on latest PHP (5.4).

Comment

• dugchugger
                        • May 2007
                        • 4.2.X

I tried turning off the plugins from ACP -> Settings -> Options -> Plugin/Hook System (no). It didn't make a difference. Was wondering if it makes a diff if I disable the hooks using the appropriate code in config.php?

The only error messages I have access to are generic error logs in my website cpanel and the error_log that shows up in the root directory of my site. The 503 service unavailable messages doesn't show up in the error_log in vbulletin... only in the error log in my cpanel without any real info that I can see.

I don't have control over the version of php and my web host says they won't update for a while yet at it would mess their other clients up.

I've asked for increased server resources and they said they'd do it, but haven't confirmed yet whether it was done.
                        ~ duggy

Comment

• dugchugger
                          • May 2007
                          • 4.2.X

Woot! Coincidentally since my host fixed my nameserver issue (one was pointing to the wrong IP) the phperrorlogs started showing up! This is what I'm seeing every time I try to edit an article...

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupMessage::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in /home/#####/public_html/portal/forums/packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupmessage.php on line 261
                          Date: Wednesday 30th of October 2013 12:39:27 AM
                          Username: [my username]
                          IP Address: [my IP shows up here]

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupDiscussion::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in /home/#####/public_html/portal/forums/packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupdiscussion.php on line 337
                          Date: Wednesday 30th of October 2013 12:39:27 AM
                          Username: Unregistered
                          IP Address: [my IP shows up here]

Not sure how this relates to me trying to edit an article... but there ya go...
                          Does this help at all? lol
                          Last edited by dugchugger; Tue 29 Oct '13, 10:12pm.
                          ~ duggy

Comment

• dugchugger
                            • May 2007
                            • 4.2.X

This worked for me: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-been-released

Honestly didn't think it was related. It was never suggested for my particular issue. Dammit... so it WAS a vbulletin issue from the 4.2.2 update and NOT my server.

Thanks to all who attempted to help.
                            ~ duggy

Comment

Originally posted by dugchugger
                              This worked for me: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-been-released

Honestly didn't think it was related. It was never suggested for my particular issue. Dammit... so it WAS a vbulletin issue from the 4.2.2 update and NOT my server.

Thanks to all who attempted to help.
                              I got that issue too when i upgraded to 4.2.2 because i still used PHP 5.3 at that time

Comment