Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommac
    • Jul 2005

[Forum] Request for feature. Exception Handling when DB is unavail

I would like to request a basic feature that would handle the exception that the DB is unavailable in a friendly way. For me it is because I have 10 minutes of downtime nightly while my DB backs up. But really it makes sense for any time the DB is not functional. Currently if the DB is unavail. All you get is an error screen stating that the DB is aunavail. It is quite technical and quite ugly. Is there anyway that the basic board look can be pushed out, OR at least a friendlier and better looking error screen? Maybe even let that be user defined? OR better yet, let that be auto created by the vbulletin platform. Like upon setup a static VB error page is created and stored as a .html file in the forums directory. then insert the code : if ( ! DB connected ) redirect to dbnotconnect.html ;

There should be some other place where the admin can see the error and email alerts should be sent out. However the current error page is really just not acceptable for example I would like to show the message "The board is down for maintenance" message wrapped by my standard look and feel. I know that the look and feel comes from the DB that is why generating a static html file may be the way to go.
    Thoughts?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

There is an html file, which pulls the db info, you can edit it to be whatever you want. Its already a static file

Comment

• tommac
      • Jul 2005

What is the file name? So you are saying I can edit this file and change it to whatever I want and if the DB fails this html will be shown. Thats great. Too bad it cant be created by the interface itself to push the logo and headers and a generic message from the Options section ( Like the message when the DB is down ).

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Since the logo location and headers are stored in the database, they cannot be displayed if the database isn't working.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• tommac
          tommac commented
          Editing a comment
          UG .... impossible ... right? Please reread the thread and my subsequent post. Upon Save of options the html can be statically written to the drive. This is done when the DB is connected. At that point you can hardcode the location and header HTML since you have connection to the DB. The only check that would need to be done would be something like if ( !DBConnect ) use static error page ; else continue; Thats it. Since the static page was done at options save and or startup it would have all of the pertinent info. So this is not only possible, but rather easy to do.
      widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...